Chapter 16: First Night at Hogwarts - Lilith

Lilith and Draco give each other a hug and bid goodnight. They go up their respective stairs and look for their name on the plaque next to the dorm door.

Lilith finds her name, along with Pansy and Daphne Greengrass. Opening the door, she notices three beds next to each other, separated by side drawers. The beds have posts with green curtains tied to them. On her left, she sees another door, which she presumed to be the bathroom.

On the far left bed, closest to the bathroom door, Lilith sees Pansy lying on her stomach reading a book. On the far right bed, was a girl that she didn't recognise with blonde hair, who she assumed must be Daphne. That must leave the middle bed to Lilith.

As she closes the door, Pansy looks up at the noise. 

"Hey Lilith. Looks like we're roommates".

Lilith smiles at her, "Yeah I guess we are". Placing Midnight on the bed, she turns to who she presumes to be Daphne, "Hi. I'm Lilith".

Daphne turns, "I'm Daphne. Heard quite the commotion about you. Being the daughter of a professor that is".

Lilith laughs quietly, "Yeah, I was expecting a bit of a reaction to be honest. Didn't think it was that surprising that Professor Snape had a daughter".

Pansy chimes in, "I heard from some of the older students that no one knew he had a family at all. He's quite secretive about his personal life". 

Lilith nods, "Not surprising".

Both Lilith and Daphne turn as they hear Pansy gasp and see her walking towards Lilith's bed.

"Who is this little cutie?".

"Oh that's Midnight, he's my pet cat that my father got me for my 5th birthday".

Daphne walks up and starts petting him, "He's really cute. The name really suits him".

Pansy nods, "I agree. It's really sweet of your father to get him for you".

"Yeah. I also have a baby basilisk named Diablo. She's staying at home with my grandfather for now, he also has a pet snake. That reminds me. Can you two watch him for a bit? I need to do something".

Pansy responds, "Yeah for sure. He's good with us".

"Thanks so much. I won't be long". 

Going to her trunk, she takes out the mirror and goes back outside to the common room. She looks around to make sure no one else was there and sits on the couch in front of the fireplace.

Pulling out the mirror, she sighs, "Tom Marvolo Riddle".

The mirror starts to light up and Tom's face appears, smiling.

"Hello sweetheart. How was your first day?".

"It was actually pretty good. Me and Draco got sorted into Slytherin".

"Oh that's wonderful, Lil. I'm so proud of you".

"Thank you. Um, the sorting hat told me something before putting me in Slytherin".

"What's that?".

"It told me that I would fit in any of the houses. Draco thinks it has something to do with what Ollivander said about my core being very powerful". 

He nods, "I see. I'm not quite sure but that may be it". He notices her face fall a little, "Everything ok, sweetheart?".

She looks up, "Huh? Oh, yeah everything's fine. I just miss you".

He smiles, "I miss you too. I know you don't have a lot of experience being away from me for so long. It was hard the first time your father went to school at your age".

"How did you get used to it?".

"It came down to always keeping in communication with him. We would send letters every weekend and the times we were able to see each other in person we spent together as much as we could. I know it's hard, honey, but you have your father there whenever you need him. As well as Draco and any friends you make".

She smiles, "I guess you're right. I'm sure daddy misses you as well".

He laughs quietly, "I'm sure he does. It's getting late, you should be heading to bed".

"Ok, goodnight grandpa".

"Goodnight sweetheart".

Tom's face fades out in the mirror. She puts it in her lap and lets out a sigh. She stands up and goes back up to her dorm. When she enters, she sees Midnight sitting on Pansy's lap with Daphne sitting next to them, petting him.

Lilith laughs, "Looks like you guys are well acquainted".

Pansy looks up, "Hey! He's cute, alright".

Shaking her head, Lilith walks up and takes Midnight from Pansy. She walks to her bed and sets him down. The three girls start to get ready for bed.

After getting changed, Lilith climbs into her bed and cuddles with Midnight. She may miss her grandfather, but he was right. She's not alone here.