Bonus: Why Her?

Lilith was sitting next to Daphne as she lay in the bed. She had a look of shock on her face, her entire body frozen in place. She was petrified? That is what her father said.  

"Lia?".

She turned towards the entrance to the infirmary and saw Draco standing there with a look of concern. He walks up next to her and places his hand on her shoulder.

He sighs, "Uncle Sev told me what happened. You doing ok?".  

She nods, "Yeah. It was just...finding her lying there in the library. I...I should have gone with her".

"There's no way you could have known, Lia. Do you at least know what happened?".

"Daddy said she was probably petrified but...for her to be petrified there would need to be a basilisk. And the only one I know is in Hogwarts is my little one. But she wouldn't be able to cause this at her size".  

He nods, "So that means that a larger basilisk must be somewhere in the castle. But where on Earth would they hold one?".

"The Chamber".

They turn at the sound of the familiar voice.

She looks at him confused, "Daddy?".

He walks up to the two, "I was talking with your grandfather and he believes that the Chamber of Secrets, made by Salazar, would be the most likely place for the basilisk to live".  

Draco nods, "I guess that makes sense. Slytherin's mascot is a snake after all, why not use one to protect the Chamber?".

Lilith asks, "But why Daphne? Why was she petrified? She's a pure-blood".

Severus sighs, "That she is. Perhaps there was a muggle-born in the library at the same time and she just happened to see its eyes as well".  

He notices Lilith nod in agreement, but still looks at Daphne with guilt.

He leans down, "Baby, I know that look. This is not your fault".

She sighs, "But still. It was Pansy who realised she wasn't back yet. If it wasn't for her...who knows how long Daph would have been down there?".

Draco hugs her, "Lia, no one blames you. You were focused".  

Severus nods, "At least we know what happened to her. I've already got orders to work on the anti-potion".

Lilith sighs and nods at her father's words. Why do these things keep happening to her friends? Why does Lady Magic wish to make her upset?