Chapter 49: What happened to my boys?

Lilith and Draco are walking towards the hospital wing. Blaise had told them earlier that day that Crabbe and Goyle were found unconscious somewhere next to the Great Hall. She didn't show it outwardly but she was genuinely worried about the boys. They actually became good friends with her over the weeks. 

Turning the corner, they come up to the door to the hospital wing. They open the door and Lilith looks around the room, seeing the boys laying on two of the beds in the corner.  

Seeing that they are awake, she walks up to the beds, "What the hell happened? Are you guys ok?".

Crabbe nods, "We're ok, Lilith. Madam Pomfrey told me she'll check on us when we both wake up".  

Draco walks up behind Lilith, "Well, then where is she?".

"Calm down, Mr. Malfoy. I'm coming".  

They turn to see Madam Pomfrey walking up to the group, her wand in hand.  

She stands next to the boys' bed, "I found that the two of you had a sleep spell put on you at some point. My guess would be that it occurred around 12 hours ago. Do you have any idea on how this could have happened?".

Goyle thinks, "Well, we left the Great Hall after dinner and were making our way back to the common room, but we got distracted".  

Crabbe nods and continues, "We noticed these cupcakes floating in front of us and decided to eat them. Probably not the best idea".

Draco sighs, "You don't say".

Goyle nods, "That's when I think we passed out".

Lilith turns to Madam Pomfrey, "I'm guessing those cupcakes were laced with the spell".  

She nods, "That would be my guess as well. I'll have Professor Snape look further into this. He was able to find the cupcakes still lying around when you two were found. Now get some rest".

She turns and leaves the group to talk amongst themselves.  

Draco sighs, "Why did you think it was smart to eat floating cupcakes?".

Lilith places her hand on his arm, "It's alright, Draco. Like she said, my father is going to look into this. What we don't know is who did this to them". She turns to the boys, "Do you have any idea of where they came from? Did you see anyone around?".  

They think hard and shake their heads, "Sorry, Lil".

Draco responds, "That's alright. Worth a shot". He perks up and remembers something, "Actually...". He turns to Lilith, "...Didn't you say you noticed something off yesterday?".

She thinks back and her eyes widen, "In the common room last night, yeah I remember". She turns to the boys, "You said you guys found the cupcakes after dinner right?".  

They nod, "Yeah, we left a bit early cause we were done eating and walked out. That's when we found them".

Lilith nods, "That's what I thought. Because yesterday we went down to the common room after dinner and saw you guys. I thought something was off 'cause you weren't acting like yourselves".

Crabbe thinks, "Well that wasn't us. Like she said, we were still next to the Great Hall when someone found us".  

Goyle asks, "How could you have been with us if we weren't actually there?".

Draco perks up, "Polyjuice Potion".

Lilith turns to him, "Polyjuice? How is that possible? Daddy told us that potion is illegal to make".

They heard a familiar voice behind them, "It is".  

They turn to see Severus walking up to them. Lilith smiles and opens her arms, giving him a big hug when he gets to the group.  

He smiles at Lilith and turns to the group, "The Polyjuice Potion is a highly complicated, time-consuming one that even wizards like me sometimes struggle to brew correctly. Draco is right, it is illegal to brew, especially underage, but some authority figures still tend to look the other way".

Lilith huffs, "That's absurd".  

He nods, "I agree, sweetheart, but it's not my authority to make that decision".

Draco asks, "Are you able to find out who put the spell on the cupcakes?".

Severus sighs, "Depending on whether it was actually a spell or a potion will take some time, but after I figure that out I should be able to tie it back to who cast or brewed it".

Crabbe and Goyle look surprised, "You can do that".

He laughs quietly, "Being a Potions Master has its benefits boys. I'll leave you guys be".

Lilith smiles, "Thank you daddy".

"No problem, baby. I'll see you and Draco in class later".  

She nods and Severus leaves the infirmary. She had an idea of who may have brewed the potion and it reinforces her theory about the previous day.