Chapter Six: Jennie and Zackey

The day of New Years Eve finally came around, and I was eagerly anticipating hanging out with everyone again. I had plans to go over to Ashlyn's early so that Kourtnee could give Gina, Ashlyn and I 2007 themed makeovers before the party, in honor of the Spring musical being none other than High School Musical 2.

But before that could happen, I had gotten a text from Ms. Jenn that her, Carlos, and I were going costume shopping that morning, so I met them at the shop at about 9:00 AM that morning. 

"All the best costume deals happen between Christmas and New Years," Ms. Jenn said as she led us through the aisle of the costume store, "A lot of people don't know that."

"I did know that, actually," I said, causing her to look at me in surprise. I shrugged, "Stage Manager brain. I've got a lifetime of knowledge."

"I keep thinking I'm not gonna learn new things from the two of you, and then Bam." Carlos  noted. 

"You'd think you could just find High School Musical 2 costumes at Old Navy, but no," She said, handing off her purse to Carlos."

"Its a period piece." we all said together.  She began rifling through the clothing racks. when all of a sudden, she looked up and her eyes widened.

"Carlos, Megan, hide me!" She ducked behind the wire end cap and Carlos and I crowded into the space she once occupied, blocking her from view. 

"Why are you hiding from a handsome man who isn't wearing a wedding ring?" Carlos questions.

"Honestly, facts." I agreed, peering over the shelf to get a better look at him.

"Salt Lake is a small town, children." I furrowed my eyebrows skeptically. 

"City is in the name-" I started.

"There's no other way to say it. That man and I? We were once..." We all moved to look down the aisle on the opposite side, peering at him from behind the endcap, "The Ricky and Nini of North High."

"You went to North High?" Carlos questioned.

"There's a lot you don't know about me," She replied, looking at him again before running over to the next endcap over, "I was the star of every show, he was a lacrosse player."

"So you were more like the Nini and EJ of North High." I clarified. They both looked at me. "What?! That analogy makes more sense!"

"I dragged him kicking and screaming into Guys and Dolls our Senior year. I got Adelaide, he got Sky Masterson." She continued.

"Ah, ok. That sounds more like Ricky."  I admitted.

"Two months later? He got into NYU Tisch on a full musical theatere scholarship. I was wait-listed at the university of Utah."

"Straight guys in theater." Carlos said, shaking his head.

"How very Troy Bolton of him." I agreed. 

"He dumped me the minute he got to New York. I spent fifteen years avoiding him on Eight Avenue. Why is he here?"

"Should we leave?" Carlos asked.

"That's exactly what we should do." She took her purse out of his hand, leading the way down the adjacent aisle.

"Jennie?" The man called as we passed. "Is that you?"

She paused, clearly trapped, turning around to face him.

"Act Normal." She whispered. "I'm sorry, have we met?"

"Jennie...Zack. Zackey Roy from Noth High. 'Luck be a Lady'?" He prompted.

"Oh my." Carlos laughed dreamily.