Chapter Twelve: Overreacting

I dismissed myself from the hallway, making a beeline for the girl's bathroom. I rushed inside, dropping my bag on the floor and bracing myself on the sink as I tried to calm the thoughts running rampant in my mind.

"Well, I kind of have to! If I don't put out another song soon, everyone is just going to forget about me, which is terrifying enough as it is, given my history with being invisible."

"I'm about one month away from becoming completely irrelevant again, and I'm going to lose all the momentum that I got from the audition video. I need to give people a song while they still care enough about me to listen."

"Well...I was insecure about my music for a really long time. But then I auditioned for the musical and...it kind of changed everything."

"Its just...you know, I've been thinking, and if Ms. Jenn really thought I was any good...wouldn't she have tried to give me a bigger part?"

I shook my head, as if the physical action of doing so would rid me of the anxiety and insecurity that was currently crashing down on me.

 "I mean on some level...what if he's right? What if Ms. Jenn really doesn't have faith in my abilities and she casts me as like...I don't know...Cogsworth or something."

I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath and trying to center myself and slow down my mind, when all of a sudden my phone dinged. 

I pulled it out of my pocket, holding it up to see that I had a new YouTube comment. 

Cheestastic much? I don't know why everyone's been talking about this girl so much. She's overrated if you ask me.

Another memory popped into my head at the words.

"You know, maybe you should take a note out of Kelsey's book and keep passing along your songs to your friends because let's face it...they might not all be good enough to play Belle...but I guarantee they could do your crappy YouTube covers more justice than you ever could."

My phone dinged again and I let out a frustrated sound, looking at it to see that I had an Instagram DM.

ZackeyRoyOfficial

I heard about auditions. Bad news travels fast. We should talk.

I angrily shoved my phone back into my pocket, yanking my bag off of the floor and shoving my way through the bathroom door. I didn't stop, I didn't bother trying to look for anyone, I just rushed towards the nearest exist as fast as I possibly could.

"Megan?" I heard EJ's voice call behind me. I ignored him, shoving the door open and tearing across the parking lot. "Megan, hold on!"

"No, I don't want to hold on, I don't want to talk about it, I just want to go home."

"Ok, but don't you think you're overreacting just a little bit?" I paused and without even looking at him I could see the expression of instant regret on his face. "No...sorry, no, that came out wrong-"

"No, you know what?" I sighed, turning around to face him. "I probably am overreacting and I just...look, everyone else is excited about the show, and I don't want to ruin their vibe, so I'm just gonna go home, try and calm myself down and hopefully I'll be all better by tomorrow."

"Are you sure about that?" He asked. I nodded, forcing a smile.

"Yeah, it'll be fine. Don't worry about me. Just go celebrate with the others."

"Come with us." He pleaded, taking a small step forward. I shook my head.

"No, I'm...I'm not in much of a celebrating mood." I stated. "This is...my issue. I'll deal with it, you guys just...enjoy this, ok?" He nodded.