Chapter Twenty-Nine: No One Else

~~~EJ~~~

Carlos and I arrived at Big Red's place at the same time after everyone split up at the pizza shop. 

"Wassup?" I greeted, taking in the floor chocked full of a variety of power tools. 

"Oh, wow!' Carlos exclaimed. "Is this decorative?"

"Don't start with me Carlos." Big Red said sternly, pointing a drill at him. 

"Wha..."

"He gets weird around tools." Ricky explained as Big Red moved to stand beside him. 

"Wait you guys," I said, "I just realized, I haven't been down here since we first got together to save Ms. Jenn." 

"Wow," Ricky commented, "Deja vu, maybe. Hey wait, where's Seb?"

"Don't ask." Carlos replied. 

"You guys, what are we making?" Big Red questioned, hitting the trigger on his drill.

"Ok I'm going to take that from you." Ricky gently took the drill from his best friend's hand. 

~~~Megan~~~

"One hundred percent, real faux fur." Kourtnee announced, spreading it out on my coffee table as we all entered my living room armed with target bags. "Thirty yards. "

"Must have been a truly enormous faux animal." Ashlyn quipped. 

"So what are we doing?" Gina laughed. 

"Ok, so you know those sequined tops where if you rub them one way, they're purple, but if you rub them the other way they're ed?" She asked. I gasped.

"Oh my gosh, I like the way you think." I said leaning on the arm of my couch. 

"We're gonna do that with the Beast cape, but instead of purple and red its going to be fur...and satin." She picked up a length of blue satin, draping it dramatically over her shoulders. "Y'all feel me?"

"Kourt, you are a visionary." Nini complimented.

"Oh, thank you. The boys can build something that spins the Beast around to disguise the transition. "

"Wow. Won't that take a while?" Seb questioned. 

"I'm in if you are."

"I guess I could sleep over tonight." I joked. "You all are more than welcome, naturally. Make yourselves at home." 

"Guys, I'm all about costumes, but I don't know if my parents will be cool with a co-ed sleepover." Seb pointed out. 

"Chip," Kourtnee said seriously, "This is your mother speaking. Go call your mother." 

He pointed at her, exiting the room and Ashlyn walked over, putting a caddy full of scissors on the coffee table. 

"Behold my scissors bucket." She announced. 

"Ok, marry me?" I said. "Marry me, right now." 

~~~EJ~~~

Big Red, Ricky, and I all took aim, tossing our pizza crusts back into the box as we finished them. 

"Yeah, we're thinking of adding an off-menu vegan sausage option." Big Red said. 

"Is that a thing?" Ricky questioned.