Chapter Sixteen: Be Our Guest

At some point or another, the storm that was supposed to hit us hit earlier then expected, taking out the power and trapping anyone remaining in the school until the roads cleared up. 

I had been in the girl's bathroom washing my face when the power went out, so I turned on my phone flashlight and headed out into the dark hallway. I'd only walked a few steps before I heard shouting. 

"I'm not yelling! I'm saying, with passion, that the song is called Be Our Guest, not Be Babette the Feather Duster's Guest." 

"Why don't you just choreograph the whole show yourself, and we'll call it a day?!"

See? Look what you did. Are you proud of yourself?

Its ok...pretty soon you won't be their problem anymore. 

Gina and Carlos paused their argument, shining flashlights in my direction as they heard me coming. 

"Megan!" Carlos exclaimed. 

"Don't let me stop you. I'm staying out of it." I said, rushing past them. Carlos sighed, and I heard footsteps begin to follow me. 

"That's not what I' saying," he continued, still talking to Gina, "I need you!" 

Imagine that. Being needed by your cast? Well, you would have to imagine it, wouldn't you?

No...not anymore.

I turned the corner to head back to the rehearsal room, only to run smack into someone, almost knocking e to the floor. Hands caught my arms, and I pointed my phone flashlight into the wincing face of EJ.

"You're still here?" He asked. "I figured everyone would've left to beat the storm." 

"I wouldn't know, I went looking for you." I said, standing up straight and tucking y phone into my back pocket. 

"Sorry, I had some...college stuff to take care of." 

"Oh yeah?" I asked, tucking my hair behind my ear. "What kind of stuff?"

Maybe he'll tell you. I'll bet he had good reason for not telling you first, but now that he's gotten past the nerves, maybe he can-

"Nothing to exciting. Just FAFSA stuff mostly." He said. I nodded.

I can't believe you actually fell for that.

"Right," I said with a nod, "Well, I have to stop by my locker, so..."

"You want me to come with you?" He asked. 

"No," I replied, a little too quickly, "No, just um...it'll be quick. You should go check the rehearsal room, see if anyone else is still here. I ran into Carlos and Gina back there, so..." 

"Right, yeah for sure." He agreed. I nodded, going to walk past him in the direction of the Junior lockers. "Are you ok?"

I stopped, standing with my back to him. I took a deep breath before slowly turning around to look at him.

"Yeah," I said, forcing a smile, "I am now." 

He nodded, holding up a hand in a wave before turning around to head off to the rehearsal room. I turned around too, letting my smile fall as I continued towards my locker. 

~~~

I made myself comfortable on the hallway floor until the lights came back on. I stood up, brushing off my jeans, figuring that it'd finally be safe to leave.

"Megan Kline?" I looked up to see a kid I hadn't seen before, dressed in a big coat and a red stocking cap. I raised my eyebrows, wrapping my arms around yourself. "I'm uh...Howie. I'm from North High. You told Mr. Roy that your car was snowed in so uh...I'm your ride."