Chapter Twenty-Eight: Can't Win

"Alright, let's get started!" Carlos called. 

We had finally moved our rehearsals to the stage, seeing as opening night was fast approaching. That also meant the pressure was on, and instead of focusing on learning the show, like I probably should have been...I was debating on whether or not I had destroyed one of the best things in my life.

"Ok, wildcats!" Ms. Jenn continued, "Let's shake spring break out of our systems and try the Beast transformation one last time. And remember, this is the triumph of the show! The moment the audience has been waiting for! This has to work."

"No pressure, right?" Ricky asked Ashlyn, chuckling nervously. She gave him an equally nervous expression, and I looked past them both to glance at EJ, who was whispering to Gina on the other side of them. 

"Ricky, try not to rush this time, we'll speed it up when you're more confident." 

"Got it." 

"Let's take it from, 'you came back'. Megan, can you join us over here please? I'd love your notes." Ms. Jenn called. I nodded, moving over and sitting on her other side with a notebook in my lap as everyone else cleared the stage.  Ashlyn got down on the floor as did Ricky, pausing first to put his Beast mask back on. 

"We'll be fine," Ms. Jenn squeaked, "We still have two weeks until opening night. That's a few days from three weeks, basically a month. And two weeks after that, we are at the Alan Menken awards, and then we'll see who's number one."

"Its your basic two-three-two-one." Carlos said.

"Are you sure you're not putting a little bit too much pressure on this competition?" I asked. 

"Ok, go ahead." She said, ignoring my question as Ricky laid in Ashlyn's lap, adjusting his headpiece as he did. 

"You came back."

"If only I'd come sooner." Ashlyn said, draping an arm around him. 

"Maybe its better this way..." Ricky said weakly, putting a hand on her arm.

"Don't talk like that. Everything will be fine."

"No..."

"Shh. We're together now. You'll see." 

"I'm just glad I was able to see your face," Ricky put a hand on her face, "one...last..." 

Ms Jenn gestured for Seb to start playing the 'Home' reprise.

"Dying noises could be a tad more natural." I whispered. She nodded, making a note. 

"We are home," Ashlyn sang, as Ricky started trying to pull Beast hair out of his mouth, "We are where we shall be forever."

Ricky kept pulling hair out of his mouth, causing Ashlyn to subtly push his hand down but putting hers on his face.

"Trust in me, for you know I won't run away." 

He started doing it again, so she grabbed his hand, pinning it to his chest, only for him to reach up with his other hand and rub his nose. I winced, glancing behind them, where Kourtnee, Big Red, and EJ were watching the performance. EJ met my eyes, noting my expression and giving me a reassuring look. 

"Belle, I..."

"Yes?"

Ricky rolled off of her lap, so that he was laying on his side, almost on his stomach, with his ace hidden in the floor. 

"No. No, no, please don't leave me. Please." Ashlyn begged. I smiled at her incredible performance. "I love you." 

Ricky then very obviously picked his head up and started trying to pull his mask off. Ashlyn covered him with her cloak as he struggled, but it did little to hide the effort as he went up onto his hands and knees.