Chapter Thirty-One: Beauty and the Beast

(I don't realistically know what the competition rules would be for making a male character a girl, but for the purposes of this fanfiction...I don't care. Megan's costume above.)

~~~Two Weeks Later~~~

"Kourtnee!" I called, smoothing down the skirt of my ridiculously extra renaissance gown. "How do I attach this  pendulum thing again?"

"Oh, here." She grabbed the strip of black fabric, which was perfectly shaped to fill the opening left by my overskirt. It had a pendulum painted onto it, modeled after a real, vintage, French one Kourtnee found on Pinterest. 

She moved around me, attaching it around my waist and then adjusting my skirt over it.

"Perfect! Megan, I sweat, you are the most beautiful Cogsworth there has ever been." 

"Ok, speak for yourself, Mrs. Potts!" I complimented. "Thanks Kourt!" 

I turned around, going to stand with Ricky and Ashlyn, who were going through a mirroring exercise. Nini appeared in front of us, dressed in her villager dress. 

"A little note for good luck." She said, handing Ashlyn and I both a good luck card.

"I'll take all that I can get." Ashlyn said, bouncing nervously on the balls of her feet. 

"You don't need it," I said, wrapping my arms around her shoulders, "You're beautiful, and talented, and when you sing little baby blue birds fly around your head because they can't resist your Disney-princess perfection." 

"Aw." Ashlyn hugged me back leaning her head against mine. 

"You guys feeling alright?" Nini questioned. 

"Fit as a fiddle." Ricky answered. 

"Operating at full capacity." Ashlyn chorused. 

"And how are the wrists?" I wondered. Ricky and Ashlyn shared a look before looking down at their matching wrist splints. Luckily it was the only casualty, after Ricky's rope snapped and he...fell on Ashlyn. 

"Oh, Megan, Can we get your directing opinion on something?" Ashlyn asked, dragging over a chair from one of the makeup tables."

"Oh, right." Ricky agreed sitting down and reclining like he was dying. 

"So, when the Beast was dying, was she holding him up like this? Or..."

"It was like a Renaissance painting, I have no idea how they did it." Ricky answered.

"Is this because of North High's show last night?" Nini asked. "I thought it was impressive, but..."

"It was like if James Cameron and a circus had a baby." 

"Howie was so good as the Beast, I'm actually rooting against myself tonight." Ricky chimed in. 

"Ok, forget about North High," I said, "They have all of the bells and whistles, no pun intended, and none of the heart and the connection to the material that we excel in. I think we're giving them a run for their money." 

"Ashlyn, time to bedazzle your wrist." Natalie said, looping her arm through hers and dragging her away. I chuckled, going back to my makeup table and looking in the mirror so that I could double check my makeup one last time. 

A pair of hands appeared on the table beside mine, and arms wrapped around my body as a chin came to rest on my shoulder. 

"Good evening Cogsworth." An obnoxious blustering voice said in my ear. I glanced at the face reflected beside mine, bursting out laughing before standing up and turning around to face him.