Chapter Twenty-One: Home Is Where The Heart Is

~~~EJ~~~

We were all fully engaged in Ms. Jenn's weekend acting intensive. We were all standing in a group with pool noodles in our hands, twisting and turning them in odd ways. 

"Ok, everybody drop your noodles and pair up for a mirroring exercise." Ms. Jenn said. 

I tossed my orange pool noddle across the room, pulling my phone out to check if Megan had answered me. I sighed when I saw that my lockscreen was empty. 

I looked up to find a partner to see that Gina was wandering around without a partner. 

"May I have this exercise?" I asked stepping up in front of her. She smiled. 

"Team Wonderstudy." She said. "Yeah, I got you."

I smiled nodding toward the makeshift stage Ms. Jenn and set up and leading the way over to it. 

~~~

"Ok Ashlyn will start us off and Gina, agree with what Ashlyn says and then add on," Ms. Jenn explained, "Its 'yes and' people. Remember, improv works best when you're all in. If you've got one foot out the door it does not work. The audience will smell your fear. Fun! Let's get a suggestion from the group on a location." 

"The Louvre?" I suggested. 

"Sure. The louvre, ok. Go ahead. you ready? Ok." 

"Now, Madame Rousseau," Ashlyn started in a french accent, "I understand you're here to look into purchasing some art."

Ms. Jenn nodded enthusiastically.

"From the Louvre?" Gina asked. 

"Well if anyone's as rich as you are madame, one can purchase nearly any piece of art. Take this piece," She gestured at the air, "Do you like it?"

"Yeah, I'm not sure." Gina answered awkwardly. 

"Well, what is your heart telling you?" Ashlyn wondered. Gina turned her head, looking over at where Ricky was sitting.

"I really don't know." 

Ashlyn sighed turning to look at Ms. Jenn.

"Yes, and..." She prompted.

"Yes, and maybe we should take a break." Ashlyn said, moving back to sit down.

"Uh...I'm sorry."

"That's ok, we're learning. We're learning," Ms. Jenn said, "There are no rules here. Except that I will need you to do it correctly. Ok, let's try a new pair as an example. Um...Carlos and Seb, you boys wanna try?"

They got up, stepping into the center of the room, and Ashlyn scooted up to sit beside Gina. 

"Hey, sorry I totally ruined your scene," She said, "Improv's weird."

"Actually, you just have to agree with what I say and then add something else." Ashlyn said passive aggressively. "Its not that intense."

"Ok." Gina stood up.

"Oh, I didn't mean to-"

Gina left the room and Ashlyn sighed, ashamed of her sudden outburst. 

"Yeah..." Ashlyn whispered to me, "I guess its pretty easy to snap at people, and get frustrated when...you've got other feelings going on. I should've thought about that with Megan." 

I nodded, looking down at my hands in my lap. 

~~~Megan~~~

"Megan, hi," She replied, "Wow, sorry. Sorry, I didn't think you would actually answer. Now that you have I'm realizing that I shouldn't have called. You probably have much bigger things to worry about than my thing."