Chapter Seventeen: Goodbye Party

I spent my Tuesday night at North High, getting fitted for my costumes and helping them film some promos for social media. It was only one the way home that night that it fully struck me what was happening.

I had three days left at East High...and after that, none of these people, people who I thought were my family, would have anything to do with me ever again. Ashlyn, Carlos, Seb, Ricky and Nini, Gina, Big Red...EJ. They were going to hate me when they found out...

If they don't hate me already.

I spent Wednesday at school avoiding everyone. I passed around some texts that I was swamped with homework, that I wasn't feeling well, etc. and then I hid in the library at every possible opportunity, until the time came when I couldn't avoid them anymore.

I closed my locker at the end of the day, only for EJ to be standing on the other side of it. I jumped, putting a hand over my heart.

"You have got to stop doing that!" I exclaimed, hiking my bag up on my shoulder and walking past him down the hallway. He fell into step beside me.

"So...I found this in my locker." My eyes widened, and I looked over as he held up my necklace, the tiny copy of Romeo and Juliet dangling from his fingers.

"Oh my gosh, Thank God!" I exclaimed, putting my acting skills to the test. "I've been looking everywhere for it! I took it off for gym class and then I couldn't find it again."

I took it and hugged it to my chest and he smiled, clearly buying my story. Somehow that made me feel worse.

"Well, then its a good thing someone found it," He said, "I don't know how they knew whose it was, or why it ended up in my locker, but hey, if you're happy, I'm happy."

I smiled as convincingly as possible, handing the necklace back to him. He stepped behind me, clasping it around my neck and adjusting my hair around the chain.

"There," He finished, "Back where it belongs."

He slid his hand into mine, intertwining our fingers when Gina and Seb came to a stop in front of us.

"Tell me you guys are free tonight." Gina said.

"I think so..." EJ said, glancing at me. "What's up?"

"Not here," Seb replied, "Meet us at my farm tonight."

"That's oddly cryptic." EJ laughed. They both shared a look before separating and walking around us. I raised my eyebrows at this. "So, you wanna hang out tonight before we head over there?"

"Oh uh...I don't know. I'm kind of in a really good creative spot and I'd like to get back to it as soon as possible." I lied, tucking my hair behind my ear.

"Well, I can tag along. You can show me what you've come up with-"

"No!" I said. He furrowed his eyebrows. "I'm sorry, EJ, but no, I don't...I can't afford any distractions, right now. This song is so close to being finished and I just...I need to focus on it. But I'll see you tonight, yeah?"

"Yeah..." He said suspiciously. "I'll pick you up."

I smiled, nodding in agreement.

"Yeah, perfect. See you then." I pressed my lips against his cheek before letting go of his hand and heading out the door.

~~~

"Sorry! I'm sorry I'm late!" I shouted, dropping my bag on the floor and running up the steps to the stage.

"You're alright!" Zackey said. "You had to commute from another school. Starting Monday, you'll already be in the building." 

I nodded, pushing my hair out of my face.