Chapter Eighteen: The Climb

Once rehearsal was over, I headed to the computer lab to double check that Mr. Mazzara had everything he needed for the party.

"Yeah, I think I'm good to go." He confirmed. I nodded, crossing it off of my list and turning around to leave the classroom again. "You know, your boy is gonna be helping me out."

"Huh?" I asked, turning around to face him again. He eyed me curiously for a moment. 

"EJ," he said, "I uh...I ran into him in the hallway, during that snowstorm. Gave him a bit of a peptalk about not getting into Duke."

"He told you too?" I asked. He furrowed his eyebrows. "I...nothing. Forget it." 

I turned around to leave again, hesitating for a long moment before facing him again. 

"How's he doing?" 

"You don't know?" He questioned. I shrugged.

"He hasn't said anything to me, so..." His eyes widened in concern, "No, I-you didn't just give away a secret or anything. I...overheard him talking about it. I keep giving him a chance to tell me about it, but he keeps dodging the question or...just flat out lying to my face." 

"Well, I don't know about any of that," He said, "But when I talked to him he seemed...confused. A little lost. He said he didn't know what his story was, so...I said he should hang out with the AV club since telling stories is what we do. He's been stopping by, and he's helping me out with the video." 

"Yet another thing he neglected to mention," I said, "I guess he is pretty bad at telling stories. Anyway, thank you, Mr. Mazzara-" 

"Are you transferring to North High?" My eyes widened and I froze, staring at him in disbelief. My heart began to hammer in my chest. 

"W...what?" I asked. He instantly looked uncomfortable, leaning back against his desk. 

"The counselor's office is nearby so...I hear things." He replied. "I heard that you're heading to North High...that you start Monday." 

"Yeah well...things aren't exactly working out for me here, so..."

"Because of EJ?" He asked. I threw my hands up.

"Because of...everything," I said, "I just...don't belong here. Not anymore." 

"A few months ago, you loved it here so much you were willing to tell off a teacher in order to protect Ms. Jenn." I smiled half-heartedly, remembering the interaction he was referencing. "Now you don't belong here? What changed since last semester?"

"I don't really want to get into it," I said with a shrug, "Either way, its too late now. I've already filled out the paperwork, and once the others find out, they're probably never going to forgive me, so...if you could keep it to yourself, I would really appreciate it."

"I wouldn't be so sure about that." He replied. I furrowed my eyebrows. "Them not forgiving you? I've seen those kids and...I think they care about you too much to stay mad at you forever."

"Maybe," I answered, "Thanks Mr. Mazzara. I'll see you Saturday."

"I hope you figure it out, Megan. You're a good kid. I think you'll know the right thing to do at the end of the day." 

I smiled in thanks, turning and walking out of the classroom and into the hallway once again. 

~~~

Thursday and Friday were spent pretty much running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I was all in when it came to directing rehearsals, just so they wouldn't suspect anything was off, and when I wasn't doing that every spare minute was overseeing party preparations and decorating the barn; Most of which I ended up doing myself. By the time Saturday actually arrived, Kourtnee, Big Red, and some of the other cast members came to help with some last finishing touches, but overall,I I had put the party together. It was for Carlos but...it was also for everyone else too. Part of me hoped that maybe...this party and everything I put into it would be the last thing they remembered about me, rather than the fact that I traded over to the enemy.