Chapter Twenty-Five: Seize the Day

EJ put my backpack down beside one of the desks in the front before sliding into the seat beside me. I briefly glanced at Gina, noticing that of all the empty seats in the room, she chose to sit behind EJ. I tried to ignore that fact.

"Any guesses on the guest speaker?" EJ asked, looking at Gina Carlos, Seb, and I, who filled in the seats around him. 

"Unless its Alan Menken himself coming to apologize for what just happened to us, I'm not here." Carlos retorted. 

"Ooh, I would die if it was like, Greta Gerwig." Seb said. I whirled around to look at him.

"Did you hear she's supposed to direct a Barbie movie?" I questioned. His jaw dropped.

"No! What?!" He hurriedly pulled his phone out to begin scouring the internet. 

"Well, whoever it is, I'm sure they'll remind us to 'seize the day and then let it go'." EJ quoted. My eyes widened as I suddenly remembered the Career day speaker from last year.

"Oh yeah! I forgot about that!" I said. He shook his head. "You think he's gonna do the same speech?"

"Every year he does the same speech." He pointed out. 

"Wait, what does that even mean?" Gina questioned. He turned around to look at her.

"I was hoping you knew, since..."

"No." She giggled, letting out a snort that made EJ laugh too. My jaw dropped in amusement as she clapped a hand over her mouth. 

"No one heard that." EJ insisted, as all three of us erupted into a fit of giggles. 

"Oh, class, class," Mrs. Dunbar called, "I am thrilled to present one of East High's most generous benefactors, Mr. Cash Caswell, with tips on success in life."

He strode into the room and stood next to her, adjusting his blazer in a very arrogant way. I glanced at EJ to see he wasn't laughing anymore and was instead hanging his head in embarrassment. I looked up to find him looking at me with his usual distain, and before I would have cowered under his nasty, judgmental gaze.

But I'm in therapy now, so I folded my arms on top of the desk and stared him down with a venomous look of my own. 

"Well played, Caswell." Gina whispered as the glass applauded.

"Surprise." Mr. Caswell said, finally looking away from me. "Thank you, Mrs. Dunbar."

"Anytime."

"Students. Its an honor," He began, "Success is all about legacies. The ones that we inherit and the ones that we build. I' lucky to have a son that carries the Caswell name with pride."

I glanced at EJ, who looked as though he couldn't agree less with that statement. I reached over, squeezing his arm and prompting him to look at me. I offered him a wink, trying to lighten the mood. He smiled. 

"In fact, I wasn't gonna do this today, but uh..." Mr. Caswell cleared his throat as if he was suppressing tears, "Come on up here, eej." 

EJ looked up at his dad in shock and everyone else started to applaud. He looked at me, and I offered him a concerned and sympathetic look as he stood up and moved to stand next to his father. 

He unfolded a blue sweatshirt, and I winced as I saw the word 'Duke' stitched onto the front of it. 

"My father gave me this when I got into Duke," He explained, turning to face EJ, "and now its yours." 

EJ chuckled, confused.

"Wait what?"

"Congratulations, EJ." Mrs. Dunbar said.