𝟷𝟶

"Eli, we're digging through your mother's trash. Do you see how this could be a little strange?"

The next morning, Elijah woke his wife up as soon as Esther left the house and began snooping through her study, insisting he needed to find sage for a spell he saw last night.

"I need to make sure that I know what I saw before I make any decisions, Aeliana. I do not wish to cause harm unless absolutely necessary."

"I have many reasons to harm the doppelgänger," Aeliana trailed off, earning a look from Elijah. "Alright, alright, no violence until you say so."

"Good girl," he smirked.

"Elijah, n-now isn't the time," she stuttered out.

"What do you mean? It's always the time," he joked, going back into the trash can, his joking demeanor immediately going away. "Well, I was right," he mumbled, holding up the burnt sage.

"Oh, Eli," she walked over to her husband, wrapping her arms around him as his head settled into her chest.

"Perhaps we need to pay Elena a visit," he spat out, getting up and walking away upon hearing Rebekah, Kol and Nik arguing over her whereabouts last night.

Burnt sage in hand, Elijah approached his sister. "Rebekah."

"Not you too, Elijah," she muttered out.

"I could care less where you went last night, Beks, as long as it was a good time," Aeliana joked, sending a wink in the blonde's direction.

Elijah made a fake gagging face before going back to being serious. "I'm worried about mother. Have you not noticed her strange behavior?"

Rebekah looked at them confused. "She's been dead for a thousand years. What's strange for her?"

Elijah held up the contents from Esther's study. "Burnt sage."

Rebekah took the sage from his hand, expecting it.

"She was doing a privacy spell," Aeliana spoke softly.

"You know she fancies such things. Why don't you ask Finn? He's been doting on her," Rebekah tried to defend her mother.

Elijah shook his head "I don't trust Finn. He hates what we are, he always has."

"That's not true. And as for mother, she returned for one reason, to make our family whole. She loves us. What trouble are you looking to find?"

She left the room, making the couple sigh and look over.

"Well, there goes that," Aeliana put her head in her hands.

"Let's go pay little Elena a little visit, shall we?" Elijah held his arm out, escorting her out of the house.

They approached the Gilbert house, Aeliana pounding on the door before Elijah could even blink, earning another stern look from him

"You're so in trouble later," he whispered under his breath.