𝟷

FIVE YEARS LATER

Aeliana was alone in her room, fighting the tears from flowing down her face yet again. Everyday since Audrey could speak full sentences, it was always the same question.

"Mommy, where is daddy?"

And she would have to explain, over and over, that daddy was sick, and that her and Auntie Hayley were finding a cure. Then, she would read her the letter.

Today, Audrey said something different.

"Daddy is upstairs, in the coffin."

Aeliana looked at her daughter with sad eyes and sighed. She promised herself that she would never, ever lie to Audrey.

"Yes, sweet girl. He is."

"Can I see him?"

Audrey looked up at her mom with innocent eyes as she tried to maintain her composure.

"Please, mommy? I want to see him in person."

"Audrey, please understand that he's- he's not himself. He's been up there for-"

"Five years. I know he's going to look weird and gray because he hasn't had his juice. Please, mommy? Let me see him."

Aeliana reached out her hand, Audrey happily took it and walked upstairs with her. She opened the door to a room that continually brought her pain and sorrow, wanting nothing more than to bring them back together.

It was as if Audrey knew where he was, strutting right over and struggled to lift the lid.

"Hold on, Auds. I got it," Aeliana lifted the coffin lid and sighed as Audrey saw her dad in person.

Audrey grabbed his hand and smiled sadly.

"Hi, daddy. I just wanted to tell you I love you. And that I learned how to read thanks to your letter. I hope you wake up soon."

Hayley found them and offered to make the girls lunch, giving Aeliana her time. She didn't like to cry in front of Audrey or Hope, usually she reserved that for when it was just the two of them in their room at night.

Despite the big size of the house and many bedrooms, Hayley and Aeliana usually slept in the same room. The first night they slept here, Aeliana was plagued with nightmares.

"You can't sleep either?"

Aeliana looked up from her place in the bed to see Hayley in the doorway.

"No, I'm not really used to sleeping alone again."

Hayley sighed and walked further in, laying down on her bed.

"Yeah, me neither."

Aeliana moved over and shrugged. "Sleepover?"

The hybrid smiled and crawled under the blankets next to her sister, both of them able to finally sleep.

She was snapped out of her thoughts at the sound of a car coming down the driveway, making Audrey burst into their room.

"Is gramma Mary here?"

Aeliana wiped her face quickly and smiled at Audrey. "I'll go check, why don't you go practice your music?"

Audrey nodded with a smile. "I need to be perfect for when daddy comes home!"

She walked up and hugged her daughter. "You don't need to be perfect, sweet girl. He loves you no matter what."

Aeliana met Hayley and Mary outside, smiling slightly.