𝟷

She went back to the woods, seeing Elijah standing in the spot their hut used to be, approaching the suited original slowly.

"Hi," she muttered out.

He turned to her, making her immediately look down at the ground. She couldn't stand the look of disappointment on his face right now.

"Aeliana, look at me."

She kept her eyes at his feet, so technically she was looking at him. But she figured now wasn't the time for her sarcastic commentary.

"I'm sorry, Elijah," she stated weakly, tears brimming her eyes. "I caused you to break your word."

"I didn't break my word. I told them Rebekah and Kol would hold our end of the bargain. I never said you would," he spoke softly.

"Now, look at me Ana, please," he got closer to her, putting a hand under her chin and forced her to look up.

She began to choke up, trying to hold it all in. "I'm sorry. I was protecting our family, Elijah. They- they killed Nik."

"No, they didn't," he spoke sternly. "Alaric did."

"I gave my word to Elena, that if her or a loved one harmed me, you, or our family, I would kill her. I kept my word and you didn't break yours."

"In a strange way, you are correct," he wiped the tears that managed to slip out from her cheeks. "I just don't want you to regret this."

"I will never regret protecting our family, Elijah," she stated softly.

He kissed her forehead. "There's no use in fighting. What's done is done, now we move forward."

"I give you more word, Elijah, that I will never go against you again. From now on, we will discuss any disagreements beforehand."

He smiled, "I give my word to do the same. We are a team. we should always be on the same page."

Aeliana looked around. "I know I wanted to leave, but I'll miss this little town. It holds so many of my favorite memories."

"We will make new ones," he promised.

"Can we just, stay here for a little longer? I want to take it all in. Who knows when we'll be coming back."

"Of course, my sweet."

987

"Eli! We aren't allowed down here!" Aeliana shouted after her best friend who snuck into the caves. They were only allowed down here during the full moon, and right now it was broad daylight and they had another two weeks until the next full moon.

"Come on, Ana, live a little! We're 10, now. We're old enough to do whatever we want!"

"I'm pretty sure we are not allowed to do whatever we want. But I guess if you're going to get caught, I might as well too," she grumbled out, walking further into the caves.

They didn't get in trouble often, but when they did, it was usually because of one of their stupid ideas and the other would blindly follow, taking their motto of sticking together always and forever seriously.

"That's the spirit. Come on, I want to show you something," he grabbed her hand, dragging her deeper.

She ignored the tingling that came along with his hand wrapped around hers. This has been happening for years, for some reason.

They approached the very end of the tunnels, noticing a small hole leading to what looked like to be a room.

"Look, isn't this cool? I found it this morning," he rambled on excitedly as he dragged the girl into the cave.