𝟾

Elijah began pacing the courtyard slowly, bouncing Audrey in his arms. "Until Niklaus is found, Marcel and I will scour the city."

He tried to stand still, but Audrey would automatically cry until he paced again.

Aeliana shook her head. "Yeah, that's if Nik doesn't slaughter everybody. He's going to be on a war path.

Rebekah nodded in agreement. "Which again raises the question, how in the hell is he even awake?"

Freya walked into the room. "It was Dahlia. This was all part of her plan. No doubt, she killed Aiden, hoping that the blame would fall on Klaus, the family would divide, and she could win Klaus to her cause."

"That is absurd! Nik would never align with Dahlia." Aeliana gestures towards Rebekah in agreement.

"You continue to defend him."

"He'd kill anyone who'd try to take his daughter or niece!"

"Isn't it Hayley who's trying to take his daughter?"

Aeliana stood up and crossed her arms. "Their daughter. Let's not forget that Dahlia is the true enemy here!"

"How good, then, that I finished my spell. The paint of his artwork, combined with my blood, will render Dahlia vulnerable. The moment she passes between these paintings she will be mortal. You can kill her using this." Freya then handed Elijah an all to familiar knife, making him raise his brows.

"Father's knife?"

"I thought it appropriate."

Freya began to sprink herbs on clay golems, Elijah handing Audrey over to Aeliana so he could supervise.

"Now, you're certain this will work?"

Aeliana was now pacing with Audrey, avoiding herbs from falling onto her. "Let's not toss around words like certain."

"Nonsense! You grow more adept with magic each day, and this spell is flawless. Though, I might have preferred Elijah ask my permission before volunteering me as the bait."

"Yes, I'm not in the habit of asking permission."

"No matter. We have all that we need. Rebekah will perform the spell, using my heartbeat and the golem to craft the illusion of Audrey and Hope's presence. Once Dahlia is lured into the killing ground, you will do what is necessary."

"You're rather calm, which is odd, because there are a million ways this plan can fall to pieces," Rebekah spoke up from her spot on the couch.

"I admit. First, I was upset when Elijah ignored my plan in favor of his own. You are all so determined to protect the girls at all cost. Perhaps I'm envious, no one ever fought so hard to protect me. Then, I recalled what I saw when I looked inside your mind. The day you all swore an oath to stand by one another, always and forever. There's strength in such vows."

"I can assure you, it has not been free of consequence."

Aeliana chuckled at Elijah's statement. "That is an understatement. Ask any of us, that vow has been more trouble than it's worth."

"And yet, here you are, proving my point. Family defines you, even if it demands sacrifice. My entire life, I have longed for what you have. It is better to at least glimpse it, facing death, than run forever and know nothing of family."

"Well, with that, Audrey and I will be hiding out in our room." She gave Elijah a quick peck. "Come get me when this is all done."

She went upstairs to their bedroom, bouncing Audrey as she walked.