𝟸

CADIZ, SPAIN, 1702

Aeliana, Elijah and Nik approach a cottage after riding through a village that has been set on fire. They got off their horses, Nik immediately storming into the little home with the couple trailing behind.

"Kol!"

Once they entered, they looked around the bloody scene and dead bodies in disgust, Elijah shaking his head. "All of my efforts to keep this family concealed, yet debauchery like this has led Father directly to us."

All Aeliana could see was red, literally, as she started stepping over bodies to walk about the cottage. "Kol! Show yourself! This is no time for your stupid games."

He emerged into the cottage, feeding on a woman who was shaking in fear until she dropped to the floor, making Aeliana shake her head in disappointment.

"Come, come, sister! It's always time for games!" He smirked at the trio and grabbed a random mug, lifting in towards them as if he was doing a toast.

Elijah just shook his head. "We must leave. Mikael is very nearly upon us."

"If Mikael were upon us, I imagine Niklaus would be quite dead." Kol sat down and put his legs on the table, making Aeliana scoff and push his feet back onto the floor.

Nik's face begsn to turn red with anger. "I barely escaped! Father left the head of my horse on a pike in the town square!"

"He killed poor Theo? What a beast! But then, Father's always hated you most. Surely he'll chase you if you flee, leaving me here. Perhaps I'll make myself mayor?"

"Mayor of a town of people you killed?" Aeliana crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow. "What happened to always and forever?"

"You're welcome to stay, sister! You can be my vice mayor. Wait, is that a real job?"

Elijah stepped protectively in front of his wife. "Rebekah and Finn have already boarded the ship. It is imperative that we remain together."

Kol stood up and walked towards Nik. "Rebekah does what she's told because she fears Nik. And Finn is in no position to argue, given the dagger in his heart. I'll take my chances here!"

He turned to walk away, but was blocked by the couple, making him turn around only to see Nik behind him holding the dagger. "I find it amusing that you think you have a choice."

Elijah held his younger brother in place, Aeliana turning away. She absolutely hated when Nik daggered them, but in this instance it felt necessary. Nonetheless, she still was bothered by the ordeal.

Kol began to shout with anger. "No! I swear to you, the day will come when I'm not so easily subdued! And on that day, I will make you suffer!"

Nik just smiled sadly. "Perhaps! But, today is not that day."

And with that, Kol was daggered.