𝟽

A strange tune woke Aeliana up in the ungodly hours of the morning. She didn't think too much of it, assuming Elijah was listening to nursery rhymes again. She got up to go to the bathroom.

"You know, spawn, you keep pushing on my bladder. It's making mommy very uncomfortable."

She laughed at the little kicks she got in response. "You're a sassy little thing!"

"A lovely trait she gets from you." Elijah helped his wife from the bed and started walking her to the bathroom. "What woke you up, my sweet?"

"Your nursery rhymes again. You were playing them a little loud."

"Nursery rhymes? Ana, I just got home."

Aeliana stopped in her tracks and looked over at her husband. "A tune was playing, I heard it clear as day!"

Elijah sat his wife down on the toilet, looking at her in confusion. Before he could respond, they could hear a knock on the door.

"Did you order something?"

"Elijah, I literally just woke up. I've been asleep all night."

He cautiously made is way to the door, Aeliana following suit when she finished her business. They opened it to see a random man standing there, eyes white as snow.

"May I help you with you something?" Elijah pushed his wife protectively behind him.

"A promise made is a debt to be paid."

"Excuse me?"

"I am here. I am everywhere. And I intend to take what is mine."

"Elijah, it's Dahlia!"

He slammed the door in the man's face, face red with anger.

"Eli, we need to tell them. I don't think we're safe here anymore."

Aeliana pulled out her phone, noticing a text from Hayley informing her that something similar just happened.

"Come, my sweet. Let's get to the compound."

"Isn't that the point of a fortress? It does a better job of protecting you when you stay within its walls? I guess that apartment isn't working out for you two anymore, now is it?"

"Okay, Nik. I think Hayley and I get the point. Elijah and I already agreed that we will go back to staying here."

Hayley nodded in agreement, feeling equally annoyed and embarrassed as Aeliana. "Now, let's just figure out what the hell we're gonna do."

"What I would like to do is take a strong leash-"

"Children, please. Niklaus, your ire is justified, I am feeling the same way. However, Hayley is quite right. We need to find a new strategy. Freya, if you please?"

"The spell you described, Dahlia calls it kenning, using proxies to watch her enemies from afar. But, I've never seen it done on quite this scale."

"Awesome. So, basically every hurricane chugging, boob flashing tourist on Bourbon Street is a potential spy." Hayley rolled her eyes in annoyance as Aeliana began to pace back and forth.