𝟷𝟸

Aeliana woke up in her usual space next to Elijah, not able to tolerate another day of mindless lingering and trying to force Nik into doing something about the city he claims to want.

"Penny for your thoughts, my sweet?" She heard Elijah from beside her, eyes still closed. "Before you ask how I know you're deep in thought, you're tapping your fingers against my chest as if I'm a drum." He opened his eyes and propped himself on an elbow so he was looking down at her.

"It's been a month, Eli. When is Nik going to take control of the city he claims to want so badly? The factions are restless without a leader."

He sighed, tracing his fingers up and down her back gently as they heard giggles coming from his room. "It appears that Niklaus' mind is elsewhere."

"Yeah, if you mean a red headed witch who tortured our dear sister and caused her to leave us for potentially forever, yeah. It appears so," Aeliana rolled her eyes at listening to them. "They've been a cock block lately."

Elijah raised his eyebrows in confusion. "What on earth is a cock block?"

She began to laugh aloud, causing the pair from down the hall to yell a shut up.

"That, my amazing husband, is an example of a cock block," she continued to laugh as she got up from the bed, starting to get dressed for the day.

"I guess clothes are also a cock block?" He sat up and grabbed her by the waist as she undressed, pulling her into his lap.

"Yes, indeed they are," she barely breathed out due to him trailing kisses down her neck. "You're distracting me."

"Good," he mumbled into her neck, sending shivers down her spine.

After a moment, he got up. "But you're right, we do need to speak with my brother," sending her a teasing wink her way.

"For that, I will be on my worst behavior possible."

"I wouldn't have it any other way, little one."

Once they were dressed, they made their way down to Nik's room as he buttoned up his shirt, talking about his dead demons.

"Yes, apart from the one lingering monster with whom you share a bed," Elijah glared at the red head.

Aeliana smiled sarcastically and handed her heels over to her. "I trust you can find your clothing and the door."

Genevieve got up, grabbing her heals as she walked out the door.

Aeliana turned over to Nik with an annoyed look in her eyes. "Did you forget that woman tortured our sister?"

"She also revealed the truth about our sister's treachery."

Elijah walked into the room, nodding his head. "And as a consequence, Rebekah is gone forever."

The hybrid just shrugged. "A desire which she apparently harbored for quite some time!"

"Niklaus, it has been a month. Now, I feel our sister's loss as deeply as you. But, you must stop distracting yourself with this ridiculous behavior and channel it into some kind of action," Elijah turned to his brother, trying to encourage him.

Nik began painting, hardly paying attention. "Why must I, exactly?"

"Because over the course of Marcel's tenure, the city grew accustomed to having a king. You wanted this throne. Now, you must accept the responsibility that accompanies that."

"Apologies, but I'm rather ensconced in other pursuits."

Aeliana snatched the paintbrush from his hand, clearly annoyed. "If you can so easily neglect your home, I wonder what will happen to your daughter. Have you forgotten what it was like to live beneath the threat of violence? We need to work together, Nik. Let's make this city whole again, make it safe for your daughter to grow up!"