Chapter 32: Us

Pei Yan panted, his gaze scanning over Hua Jin's body to make sure she wasn't injured before mustering the energy to look at the child she was holding. He tugged at the corner of his mouth, then turned and walked away.

Seeing him leaving, Hua Jin let go of Xiaohai's hand and ran up to Pei Yan. "Mr. Pei, don't leave so quickly."

"What's the matter?" Pei Yan raised the arm closer to Hua Jin's side. "If you have something to say, say it directly. Don't touch me."

Hua Jin quickly hid her hand behind her back. "Why are you here?"

"I passed by. Is that not allowed?" Pei Yan walked briskly towards his parked car on the side of the road. As he approached, he noticed a ticket fluttering in the wind on the front of the car. Tearing off the ticket, he opened the car door and got inside.

Closing the door, he turned to look at Hua Jin, who was still standing outside the passenger window. Then he opened the door again and got out of the car, saying to Hua Jin, "Have you had breakfast?"

Hua Jin shook her head, her big eyes blinking at him.

"Get in the car first. I'll take you to have breakfast." He turned his head and looked at Qin Jie and Xiaohai, who were still standing at the entrance of the police station. "Bring your friend too."

He had some impression of Qin Jie. That unconventional argument they had was something he probably wouldn't forget for a while.

Hua Jin went to call Qin Jie. Qin Jie held her son's hand and shook her head, declining. "You've already been troubled enough today. I'll take Xiaohai home to eat. No need to bother you and your friend." Although she didn't know the young man's identity, his hurried arrival clearly indicated that something had happened to Hua Jin. Words could deceive, but her eyes couldn't. Xiao Hua had been living on her own for many years, never returning to her hometown during holidays. It was clear that her original family was not good to her. If she could meet a man who cared for her in every way, that would be nice.

She lowered her head and glanced at her silent son, extending her dry, rough hand to gently touch his hair, feeling a surge of bitter sweetness in her heart. In her life, she wasn't born out of expectation, didn't get married for love, and lived in a muddle, failing to take care of her own child. If Xiaohai hadn't gone missing this time, she would never have known how to live.

Hua Jin was different from her.

"Xiaohai, let's go home with Mom." Qin Jie sniffled and looked up, smiling at Hua Jin. "I'll prepare a feast at home in a few days. Everyone can come to my place for a meal."

Hua Jin was stunned for a moment, then smiled and nodded. "Okay."

Qin Jie was not an easy person to get along with, probably because of her divorce and the mistreatment from her family. She was very sensitive, and sometimes she would think that others were talking about her when they complained about something. So her relationship with the other tenants in the rented house was not good. It was quite rare for her to take the initiative to invite everyone for a meal.

Afraid that Hua Jin would invite her in return, Qin Jie held Xiaohai's hand tightly and didn't want to let go for a moment.

Watching the mother and son's retreating figures, Hua

Jin felt a little dazed. After a long while, she chuckled and turned around, only to find that Pei Yan was standing behind her without her noticing. She startled and took a step back.

Pei Yan stared at her for a few seconds. "Am I scary?"

"There's an idiom called 'astonishing beauty.' You look so beautiful that it genuinely surprises me," Hua Jin said as she followed Pei Yan into the car. Her phone, which was placed in her bag, made a sound, and she took it out to check. It was a message from Pineapple Spirit.