Chapter 19: The Scapegoat

"How coincidental!" Hua Jin walked to the shop entrance. "Are you... just passing by?"

Pei Yan stood at the door without entering. "Could it be that I came all the way here just to see you?"

Upon hearing this, Hua Jin laughed. "It's raining outside. Come in and sit for a while. I'll pour you some tea."

Pei Yan wanted to say that he was afraid his legs wouldn't fit inside such a small shop. However, for some reason, his legs seemed to have a mind of their own and unconsciously followed Hua Jin's steps into the shop.

Once inside, he noticed that although the shop wasn't large, it was arranged cleverly, making it easy for people to relax their body and mind.

Near the embroidery frame, there was a small table with a sofa stool. Pei Yan had long legs, so when he sat on the stool, his whole person curled up, looking somewhat pitiful.

"You can sit here." Hua Jin placed the teacup on the table and pushed her own embroidery chair toward Pei Yan.

"I never expected your shop to be right here," Pei Yan said, getting up and changing his seat. He recalled hearing Chen Sen speak ill of him last time, and it seemed that the shop was not far from there.

"Although many people nowadays prefer to buy things online, having a physical store increases customers' trust in us," Hua Jin looked up and glanced out the window. "Moreover, our shop is located here, and even if pedestrians passing by take a moment to glance, it can deepen their understanding of embroidery."

Pei Yan took a sip of tea. The tea leaves were ordinary, and the water used to brew the tea was also ordinary. Normally, he would be picky about such things, but today, perhaps because he had left home early, his mouth felt a bit dry, and he found the tea surprisingly enjoyable.

Suddenly, the shop fell quiet. Pei Yan turned his head and saw the unfinished koi fish embroidery on the frame. The brightly colored koi fish swam gracefully in the water, and their scales seemed to shimmer under the sunlight, radiating a dazzling light. He blinked and realized that the koi fish didn't actually reflect any light; they just appeared incredibly lifelike.

Setting down his teacup, Pei Yan stood up. "I should be going."

Hua Jin nodded.

Pei Yan stood there for a moment, waiting. Seeing Hua Jin's silence and her perplexed gaze fixed upon him, as if asking, "Why aren't you leaving yet?" his mood inexplicably soured, and he slammed an invitation card onto the table.

"What's this?" Hua Jin looked at the elegant invitation card. Seeing that Pei Yan seemed somewhat displeased, she hesitated to reach out and take the card, but then pulled her hand back.

"In a few days, there will be a traditional art exhibition. Due to the value of some of the exhibits, it is only open internally. If you want to go, you can," Pei Yan said. After all, he couldn't understand the artistic value of embroidery, lacquerware, and pottery. He had received a few invitation cards sent by the organizers that morning, and he subconsciously thought that Hua Jin might be interested in such an exhibition.

"Thank you." Hua Jin happily held onto the invitation card, then looked at Pei Yan with a puzzled expression. "Do I need to pay for it?"

"No, it's free," Pei Yan said coldly. "I was originally planning to throw it in the trash bin, but unexpectedly I ran into you here. Giving it to you is just a way of recycling waste."

Upon hearing this, Hua Jin didn't get angry. Instead, she responded, "Next time you have any recyclable waste, don't forget about me. I can help you solve the problem."