Chapter VIII. The Broken Man

In Harrenhal, I sit alone in the new garden which is still building. Viserys walks towards me and gives me a blanket with a smile. I take it and wrap it around me "Thanks"

Viserys sits next to me "You take Stormlands"

"Yes, you should write to Prince Aeryn. And there two Sers from Stormlands will stay here as consort"

"I will travel at dawn to Dragonestone and back quickly"

"I can not believe you were the drunk prince"

Viserys laughs "Khal Drogo brings a bowel of boiling gold and shouts that he will give me a crown"

I laugh "I can not believe you threatened me that way"

Viserys sighs "You would ruin everything you got if you still locked yourself in the chamber"

"The future king is my friend"

Viserys mocks me "It's all a lie to support me to sit on the throne" We laugh "You will see Ser Jaime?"

"Maybe but I promised Reagan I will"

》》》》《《《《

Narrator POV

In Riverrun, Jaime is on horseback, galloping through the encampment. He is accompanied by a bannerman and a regiment of foot soldiers. 

When he reaches the bridge leading to Riverrun's castle, he dismounts his horse and walks across it. He stands at the foot of the bridge and stares down into the water. 

Above, several Tully soldiers notch their crossbows and point them at him through arrowslits. The drawbridge lowers. 

Brynden stands on the other side, accompanied by a regiment of Tully soldiers. Brynden walks out across the drawbridge alone and approaches Jaime "Kingslayer."

"Blackfish."

"I assume you're here to fulfil the vow you gave my niece. I don't see Sansa and Arya."

"I don't have them."

"Pity. Do you wish to resume your captivity?" Jaime shakes his head."Then why are you here?"

"You know why I'm here. This castle belongs to House Frey. You're trespassing. In the name of King Tommen, I order you to surrender or___"

"Or you'll kill Edmure?" he walks past Jaime "My nephew's marked for death no matter what. Hang him and be done with it."

"It won't stop with Edmure. You'll force me to storm the castle. Hundreds will die."

"Hundreds of mine. Thousands of yours. If you can breach the walls."

Jaime positions himself beside Brynden "We'll breach them and kill every last one of you. But if you surrender, I'll spare the lives of your men. On my honour."

"Your honour? Bargaining with oathbreakers is like building on quicksand."

"The war is over, ser. Why sacrifice living men to a lost cause?"

Brynden turns to face Jaime and walks close to him "As long as I'm standing, the war is not over. This is my home. I was born in this castle and I'm ready to die in it. So you can either attack or try to starve us out. We have enough provisions for two years. Do you have two years, Kingslayer?" Brynden walks past Jaime and continues back across the drawbridge.

"You clearly have no intention of saving your men's lives. Why did you come to treat with me?"

Brynden turns back to face Jaime "Sieges are dull. And I wanted to see you in person, get the measure of you."