34. Discharged

Sydney has been an absolute soldier these past 18 hours. She slept through almost the entire night with only one feed around midnight. This morning she sat watching tv while the doctors ran some final tests. We are waiting for the all clear, but then nurse told me that we should be out of here by 9am.

I pick up my phone and give Rachel a call so that I can speak to London before she goes to school. I am grateful that my Dad stopped by the house and brought me some things from home, including my phone. Now I get to speak to London. Rachel texted me last night, informing me that my daughter was thrilled to have a sleepover at her cousins house on a school night. She didn't miss us one little bit.

"Hey babe, how's Syd?" Rachel asks and she sounds like she is in a fluster. I can hear Tyde screaming in the background and Tori and London having a conversation. "Tyde, put your shoes on. You cannot wear your slippers to school. I won't ask you again."

"You sound like you are having a good morning. Thanks again for taking London for me. Sydney is doing much better. Hopefully we will get discharged by 9."

"I'm so glad Hailey. Hold on, one second." I imagine her taking the phone away from her ear and marching over to one of the children. My guess is Tyde. "Alright mate, you know what - you can explain to your teacher why you are out of uniform today. If you want to wear your slippers, fine. You can get into trouble for it, not me."

This only makes Tyde cry even more and Rachel sighs heavily.

"Your daughter has been an angel. It is my two who have been acting up."

"You've got enough on your plate so I'll let you go but could you put me onto Londy quickly? I want to have a quick chat to her before she goes to school."

"London Anne Styles, someone is on the phone to speak to you." Rachel calls out to her. I hear London's voice in the background, asking if is her Dad on the phone. "You will have to wait and see baby girl. Here you go."

"Is this my Dad?" London asks as she takes the phone.

"Not quite, but it is your Mum."

I hear a small gasp leave her lips. "Mummy! I didn't know it would be you."

I laugh at her. "How could I not speak to you before you go to school? I miss you so much and I will be there to pick you up from school today, alright?"

"Okay Mummy. Is Syd still sick?"

"She is doing much better now. How was your night? Did you have lots of fun with your cousins?"

"We watched Trolls and had nuggets and chippies for dinner. Uncle Aaron gave me 3 scoops of ice cream and-and chocolate sauce on top!" She beams. "And-and do you know what I am having for lunch for school?"

"Apples, celery sticks, a vegetable muffin and broccoli?" Rachel always packs her kids healthy food and Tori hates it because her friends get chips, sugary muesli bars and sandwiches."

"No, a lunch order."

"Wow, a lunch order. Aunty Rachel must be having a busy morning. This is your first lunch order at school. What did you order?"

"No it's not. I had one before. Dad ordered it for me when he dropped me to school."

I smile to myself. "Oh, did he now? When was this?"

"I don't remember. Like last year or something?"

Last year you weren't at school, kid. She makes me laugh. I am not surprised that Harry gave her a lunch order. It was probably the day that I went Rachel-style and packed her a healthy lunch. London would have complained about it in the car and Harry would have said, don't worry love, we will get you a lunch order and don't tell Mum.