57. She's Going To Need You

Harry drives into the driveway of Rachel and Aaron's place. London has been here all afternoon because Rachel picked her up from school while Harry and I were still at the hospital. Sydney is awake now and she looks content, sucking on her popsicle in the back seat. It is good to see her acting more like herself considering Harry said she was way off this morning. 

Harry stays in the car with Sydney, while I walk up the long, steep driveway of doom to my sisters' front door. Tori opens the door and London runs up behind her with her schoolbag on her back. 

"Hi Mummy." She cuddles me before running straight down to the car, screaming out to her Dad. I bend down and give Tori a hug and that's when Rachel appears behind her.

"Hey, do you guys want to join us for dinner? Aaron's cooking up a barbecue. There's plenty there. We've got a salad and some potatoes for Harry. All vegan of course."

"It's alright, it's been a long day."

"I can see that, you've still got your stage makeup on and your hair looks as stiff as a-" she pauses when she looks down at Tori who is listening in on the conversation. "Anyway, the offer is there if you want to ask Harry."

"I was thinking of doing dinner at mine tomorrow. I'll ask Dad to come too."

Rachel stares at me blankly for a moment before responding to my invitation. She is thinking deeply about something, I know that look. "Alright, that sounds good. I was meant to close the gym tomorrow but I'm sure Jake can do it." She begins twiddling with her fingers which definitely tells me that she is questioning something. 

Shit, that reminds me. I need to tell Jake that I'll be moving so that he can get a new client to fill my sessions. I wish I could pack Jake in my suitcase and bring him to London with me. I won't find a personal trainer like him anywhere else, that's for sure. We've also developed a good friendship too. Despite Harry thinking it was something more than a friendship. 

"London mentioned something to me..." 

She definitely knows about the move. Of course London would have said something.

"About moving?"

Rachel crosses her arms over her chest and lets out a sigh while leaning against the wooden door. "I'm upset that you're leaving but I'm more upset that I heard it from my niece and not you. Why wouldn't you tell me?"

"Because it's only just been decided. That's why I want to have dinner tomorrow. To tell everyone."

My sister pulls me into a tight hug. "Is this really what you want? This is huge, Hailey. And what about Mum?"

"Of course this isn't my first choice Rach. I have to do this though. I fear that if I don't, I'll lose my girls." I close my eyes and take a deep breath to stop myself from crying. I'm going to miss this. Rachel has always been a great support system to me. It's hard to give your sister a hug when you're upset when you are on the other side of the world. She's right about Mum too. I don't want to be far away from her while she is sick but I will call her all the time and visit when I can. Hopefully she is able to get a transplant and visit us in no time. 

"I understand. It's shit, but I do understand."

I say goodbye to my sister before joining the others in the car. I wipe under my eyes so that it isn't obvious that I was upset moments ago. When I look into the back seat, I see the two girls holding hands which warms my heart. 

"I will take care of you, okay?" London says to Sydney. "We can't have you sick on the big flight to see Grandma Anne."

I see Harry's lips curve into a smile. "Grandma Anne is so excited to see you. So is Aunt Gemma and Poppy Des."