32. Bluebottle sting

I push Sydney's pram up the ramp and the automatic doors to the gym slide open. Once we get through the doors, I realise that I forgot my card to scan myself into the gym. I wish this gate had Face ID like our phones do. I suck at remembering my gym card. 

"Here, allow me." Someone says from behind me. I recognise her as of the girls who I have seen around the gym before. She has long blonde hair and a toned body that I could only dream of having. 

"Thank you so much. I am hopeless at remembering my card."

She laughs at me. "Don't worry, you're a Mum. You have enough on your plate." She glances down at Sydney in the pram. "Your daughter is gorgeous. She looks just like you." 

I smile at her and look down at Sydney. "Aw thanks, do you think so?"

"Yeah, dead ringer." She replies to me and I automatically think of Harry and how he always mocks the Australian accent or the slang we use. He would have a lot of fun mocking dead ringer. Which is another saying for looking the exact same as someone. Speaking of Harry, he hasn't returned any of my calls in almost a day now. It's not like him to miss my calls, that happens a lot with us. But he usually returns my calls. I'm guessing he is just caught up with end of tour stuff. After all, he does only have one show left. In four days, it'll all be over. It's emotional, but I am selfishly excited to have him home with us for good. 

My head involuntarily jolts backwards and I blink a couple of times, ensuring that I am not imagining the sight in front of me. 

"Mum, since when do you come to the gym?" 

My Mum turns around with a shocked expression on her face. Why is she shocked to see me here? I come here often, she doesn't. Mum and any form of fitness have never been friends. 

"If you want to join, I'm about to do a killer boxing session. I would love to see you throw a few punches Ma."

She frowns at me for a moment before turning back to look at my sister. "I will speak to you later." She exits the office and approaches Sydney and I with a big smile on her face. "Hello my sweet girl." She crouches down to her pram and kisses her cheek. 

"Hello, earth to mother. I know my daughter is bloody adorable but I exist too, you know?"

She lets out a sigh and slowly stands to her feet. She loses her balance as she stands up and holds onto the pram for support.

"Wow, are you alright Mum?" I immediately grab her hand and try to steady her. 

"Yes, I'm fine. I'm fine." She pulls her arm away from me and regathers her composure. "My knees are getting weak in my old age, that's all."

"You're not that old." 

"I was just coming by to visit your sister."

I nod my head. "Why?"

"Not important. I better not keep you. Jake won't be happy if you're late. He's such a lovely boy that one." 

"Yeah he is, but don't dodge my question. You couldn't have picked up the phone and called Rachel? You had to come into the gym?"

Sydney reaches up for my Mum while opening and closing her fingers. "She wants a cuddle. Hey, are you and Dad busy today? Could you take her with you and I will come pick her up when I'm finished here?"

Mum shakes her head from side to side. "No, not today."

"Where are you off to?"

She crosses her arms over her chest as she grows flustered. "Oh for goodness sakes Hailey. Stop it with the hundred questions. I am busy today, alright? If the children's father was here like he should be then you wouldn't have to rely on us so much to take care of your children."