13. The Morning After

The following morning I am woken by my phone ringing. The first two times I was too unconscious to realise that the sound was in fact coming from my phone. By the third time, I abruptly get up because I realise it could be my Mum calling about the girls.

Much to my disappointment, it isn't my mother. Well not my birth mother. Instead it is my career mother, also known as Heather. This feels like old times when Heather would wake me up in the early hours of the morning while I am hungover from the night before.

I try to slide closer to the side of the bed so that I can turn on the lamp on the bedside table, only to be held in place. I look beside me at Harry. That wasn't a dream, we really did sleep together last night. I lift up the sheets and see his arm snaked around my waist.

I push off his hand and get out of bed to head towards the bathroom so I can speak on the phone without disturbing Harry.

"Now that's a sight I could get used to every morning again." Harry mumbles and I look from my phone to him and shake my head whilst rolling my eyes. With the alcohol mostly gone from my system and the intense daylight spilling through the windows, I pick up Harry's blazer from the floor and put it on to cover my body from his gaze. I see him lay back on the pillow with disappointment. I wish I didn't feel self conscious in front of him, but I do.

I call Heather back and place my phone against my ear. "Hey Heather, is everything alright? You've called me a few times."

"I figured you hadn't been answering my calls because you had a big night last night. You didn't think to tell your manager that you were going to an event involving so much media?"

It completely slipped my mind.

"Sorry Heather, I'm used to you already knowing my schedule. I forgot that you don't know every single detail of my life anymore. Everything was fine last night. Well, from what I can remember. Please don't tell me that my drunken ass is in the headlines this morning."

"Luckily for you, it's your face and not your ass. Even though you have always had quite a nice behind."

I laugh at her. "Thanks Heather. So good articles?"

"Yes, nothing but appraisal from you and curly. Captured the hearts by many of you two auctioning off your attire which I am sure is on the floor right now after your child-free night."

"I will stop by the dry cleaners on the way to breakfast. Have you had a look at how the auctions are doing?"

"Harry's is currently at $89k and yours is at $14k."

"That's better than I expected."

"Sweetheart, call me weekly will you? Fill me in on your life. I know I'm your manager but I love you like a daughter. I've known you since you were 17. Don't be a stranger, alright?"

I smile at the sweet side of Heather. I'm used to her rolling her eyes, insulting me or giving me a lecture. As annoying as she can get, I actually do miss Heather. Even her long ass lectures on why green smoothies are the best thing ever and how a fake scandal can boost my career.

"Trouble in paradise?" Harry asks me when I end the call. He is now sitting up and rubbing his eyes.

"Sorry, did I wake you?" I walk over to the bed and sit down beside him. I lean in to kiss him.

He stands up and I find myself staring at his long, toned body. He needs to spend more time in Australia. He's losing his tan.

He catches me looking at his naked body and grins.

"Sorry" I apologise and look away from him.

"You don't need to apologise. Please, stare all you like." He walks back over to me and leans over me. He uses his forefinger to part the blazer and reveal my body beneath it. I push his hand away and fasten the blazer more tightly.