58. Final Day

These last three weeks have gone by like a blink of an eye. I still cannot believe that tomorrow is the day that the girls and I fly to London. It's been raining all week, but the sun is shining today for our last full day in my home country. 

Sydney doesn't know what's happening, but London has been an emotional mess. Mostly because she's missing her Dad, but she is old enough now to understand the concept of change. New school, new house, new friends and new surroundings. I was hesitant about speaking about the changes that will take place because I didn't want to overwhelm her. But Harry wanted to be open and honest with her, regardless of the fact that she is six years old. 

"It's nowhere! Someone has broken into the house and stolen it." London shouts, throwing her arms up in the air and stomping her foot on the ground. "There's a robber."

"Nobody has broken into the house, London. Your Dad had top level security installed. The amount of times the alarm has gone off from a small insect passing by is ludicrous." 

"What does ludicrous mean?"

"It means something very, very silly. So silly that it becomes funny."

"I don't think insects are funny. They are disgusting."

"Well good thing you're moving out of Australia then." I say to her before checking the laundry cupboard for the bucket and space that London is looking for. When I open the cupboar door, the first thing I see is the purple bucket and yellow spade. "What's this?" I ask, holding up the two objects to London. 

"Far out, I looked there!"

"Excuse me miss, you don't say that."

"You said it today on the phone to Aunty Rach."

"Mum was frustrated that I couldn't fit all of our belongings in our six suitcases, but it was no excuses and I am sorry that I said it. Now let's both agree that we won't say it again."

London nods her head in response. "Let's go then. Sunscreen, hat, sunnies and bucket."

"What about your towel?"

"I will dry while walking back to the house."

She's got a true point. Despite it being the end of winter, it's 23° and the humidity is making it feel warmer. I take Sydney's hand and walk her towards the door while London leads the way. I put sunscreen on the girls 30 minutes ago, but Harry has drilled sun protection so much into her head, that London won't go to the beach without it. Even if the beach is basically in our backyard. It's not a bad thing to be sun smart so I guess I should thank him for that. 

When we get on the beach, we set down our belongings and London immediately begins filling her bucket with sand. She tips the bucket upside down and half of the sand falls down. 

"You need to get wet sand closer to the water. This is too dry, it won't stick together."

"Oh yeah." She stands up with her bucket and takes it down closer to the water. Sydney stands up and waddles down the beach behind her. I pull my phone out and take a photo of the two girls, enjoying their last day by the beach. I send the photo to Harry. 

He responds with a selfie of him in the recording booth with his headphones on and microphone in front of his face. He has been in the studio twice already this week. I'm glad that he's been writing and recording. Though with him on a break from touring, I don't think he will be releasing any new albums for the time being. 

I continue watching the girls, playing in the sand. London is showing Sydney how to fill the bucket with sand. Sydney's fine motor skills are slowly getting there, with he mostly missing the bucket but at least she is persistent and continues trying.