44. Arguments

It's almost six in the morning and the sun is beginning to rise above the water, out in the horizon. One of my favourite things about the morning was looking out the window, watching the sunrise while being warm and cosy in bed with strong arms wrapped around my body.

I can't remember the last time I watched the sun rise with Harry's long arms wrapped around my body, my back against his chest and feeling so warm and content in his arms. 

Harry has barely made it home before the sun has risen this week. Also, we've barely spoken. Only minimal communication in regards to who is doing school drop off or pick up, or when dinner is being served. We make small talk about London's day at school, to keep her from asking questions as to why her parent's aren't speaking to each other. She is a smart kid, it won't be long before she picks up on it.

I walk downstairs with Sydney on my left hip, running her fingers through my postpartum bangs. I didn't get a haircut. No, my hair has thinned out tremendously around my hairline and it snaps easily. Especially when I apply heat to it.

I hear London's voice as we near the bottom of the stairs. When we turn around the corner, I see Harry and London sitting on the floor in the living room, playing cars. London sits cross legged on the rug with a red car in her left hand and a green car up in the air in her right hand. Harry is laying on his side with his legs stretched out across almost the entire length of the rug and he is rolling a bright yellow bus back and forth.

"No Daddy, you push it like this" London drops the green car and takes the bus out from Harry's grasp.

I place Sydney down in her walker so that I can prepare breakfast. Still sleepy and wanting nothing but cuddles, Sydney cries the second I let her go. I pick her back up and begin unpacking the dishwasher with one hand.

Before Harry went out last night, I asked him if he could undo the dishwasher when he got home but he didn't get home until the early hours of this morning and obviously forgot to unpack it because it's still full.

"Londy, do you want your breakfast now or after you finish playing, baby?"

I'm looking at London, but I can see Harry in the corner of my eye, looking at me too.

London turns her attention away from the cars and watches me place the cutlery in the drawers.

"I want it now."

"Okay, well you know the rules. Eating at the table only. Why don't you set the table?"

London rolls three of the cars across the carpet and the green car doesn't go very far so she runs over, picks it up and rolls it again. Then she leaves Harry in the living room and walks over to the dining table. She retrieves a navy-blue tablecloth from the linen press and throws it over the table. Harry runs over to assist her with the tablecloth as it hangs favourably over the left side of the table.

"Do you want avo on toast?" I ask Harry while I set the plates straight from the dishwasher, onto the kitchen counter.

He clears his throat uncomfortably before answering me. "No thank you. I'm heading out for a meeting and I'll grab a bite to eat then."

"Will you be back before noon? Remember, it is your daughters birthday party today."

It is Sydney's party today and her real first birthday is tomorrow. Her birthday is being held in the backyard because I was too indecisive on the location. Inflatable world is great for the older kids, but not a 1-year-old. Then the other places were suitable for children under 3, but the older kids like London would get bored. The park is too public, I want the day to be private. So our best option was the backyard.