35. Pizza and Cupcakes

While waiting for the sound of the school bell and the rush of the kids racing out of their classrooms of what marks the end of another school day, I find myself deep in thought about my Mum. 

It still doesn't feel like real life. Hearing the words kidney failure, dialysis and transplant. Seeing her frail body being attached to those machines to clean her blood. Why is this happening to her? I know my parents won't be around forever, but I expected my Mum to be around until I was old and grey myself. 

A light tap on my arm breaks me away from my thoughts. I look to my right to see Emily's Mum, Layla beside me with a kind smile on her face. She removes her sunglasses from her face and puts them on top of her head. 

"Hey Hailey. Sorry, did I startle you?"

I return the smile and shake my head at her. "No, not at all. It's my bad, I was deep in thought."

"Is everything okay? Your sister picked up London yesterday and dropped her off this morning. I thought you may have flown to LA for Harry's last show."

"Oh, no I got caught up with some things. I would love to have taken the girls to LA but school is important for London. We are all very happy that we got to attend the London show last weekend."

Layla receives a text message and she pulls out her phone to retrieve it. "My bloody husband, sorry." She quickly types a response before turning her attention back to me. "Emily told me all about London's trip. She asked my husband why he doesn't sing on a stage to his fans." She laughs. "It was fun explaining to her that her father's office job may not be as exciting as singing on stage, but it is still important."

"That's too funny. I hope Emily wasn't too upset that her Dad isn't a singer. I have explained to London that not everybody's Mum and Dad are singers and that they work other jobs too, like at the gym like her Aunt and Uncle, or at the grocery store, restaurants, and stuff. She sort of grasped the concept but she is very passionate about what her parent's do for work."

"I would love to see you on stage one day. Any idea on when that will happen?"

I smile at her and shrug my shoulders. "I'm not sure. I would love to but I also want to be a present mother. With London in school now and Sydney still so young, I think it is really important to be in one place. Maybe I'll eventually do local gigs or an Australian tour. I don't know, I haven't really thought about it."

Layla places her hand on my arm. "Well when you do decide, expect to see me front row."

I lean into her and rest my head on her shoulder. "Aww, you are too sweet." The school bell rings and Layla and I part ways as she walks over to the steps of London's classroom. 

"Can you see your sister? Where's Londy?" I say to Sydney while bouncing her in my arms. She places her head on my chest and stares towards London's classroom, waiting for her sister. A moment later, Sydney pops her head up. 

"Eh-" Sydney points towards the classroom. "Mmm-mum-mum-mmm." She continues pointing and smiles when her sister begins running towards us with her bag on her back. My smile grows wider as London approaches us too. I have missed that gorgeous face so much. 

London reaches us and wraps her arms around my thigh. 

"London Anne Styles, I have missed you so much my gorgeous girl." I bend down and give her a hug, meanwhile Sydney reaches for her sisters' face. 

"Ow Syd, your nails are sharp." London says to Sydney as she angles her face away from her sister. 

"You did come to pick me up Mummy. I thought Aunty Rachel would pick me up again today."