XVII

I brought the pack of frozen berries back to the barracks with me. I knew it was technically stealing, but I needed the pain relief, and I needed the swelling to go down if I was to sneak my injured hand past Mason in the morning.

I settled on my bed, tearing open the bag and popping one into my mouth. It was sweet, and for a moment, it took my mind off my throbbing knuckles.

The sound of the door sliding open startled me. I scrambled to hide the berries in the top drawer of my bedside dresser, realizing that my actions were conspicuous and not at all sneaky.

The guards from earlier had returned. They eyed me with concern as I tried to act as if I wasn't hiding stolen frozen berries in my bedside dresser.

"What can I do for you?" I asked at last, unsure of why they were here.

They started, as if they had forgotten what they were here for.

"We're here to deliver your new armor." One of them stepped forward, holding a case in his hands.

"Already?" I stared at the case, amazed that it had been adjusted so quickly.

"It was only a paint job. That takes an hour or less." He explained, setting the case at the foot of my bed. With that, he gave me a curt nod, and he and his partner left.

I couldn't tear my eyes from the case. Part of me was excited to see what changes had been made, but another part of me was deeply dreading what lie within the innocent silver case. If it was a major change—which I somehow suspected it was—then it would isolate me from the other troopers even more, making it nearly impossible to rejoin their ranks.

When I had finally gathered the courage, I reached out with my uninjured hand and unlatched the case. The top popped up easily, revealing my new armor lying neatly in molds to keep the pieces in place.

My breath caught in my throat.

What had once been snowy white was now a midnight black. Red paint framed each piece, covering the edges in a deep crimson. I ran my fingers over the smooth surface, marveling in its beauty. I picked up my helmet, staring at its face in awe. It stared back with even expressionlessness—its surface was completely black, save for a single red stripe running from the forehead over the top and down the back.

It was beautiful.

But it was also completely different from the other troopers. I swallowed shakily, imagining what they would say when they saw it. Nothing good came to mind.

I carefully placed the helmet back into the case and snapped it closed. Taking a deep breath, I picked up the case by the handle and left the barracks.

I scanned the hallway outside, my eyes falling on a young guard not far away. He eyed me warily as I approached.

"Where is Lord Ren at the moment?" I kept my voice professional, trying to create an image of authority.

He frowned. "In his quarters, I believe."

"Take me there." I ordered, meeting his eyes evenly.

The guard hesitated. "We've been instructed not to disturb—"

"Take me to him." I repeated firmly.

He swallowed shakily, apparently trying to assess based on my appearance and attitude whether or not I had the authority to give him orders. He glanced at the case and then back at me. He opened his mouth as if to speak, but then closed it and nodded.

I followed him through the hallways to a lift. We ascended two floors, then made our way down the hallway until we had reached the very last door. He knocked on it twice, then took a step back and folded his hands behind his back, trying to act confident.

We waited in silence until the door slid open. It was dark inside the room, swathed in shadows.

"What do you want?" I could tell by his voice that Kylo didn't have his mask on. That would explain why he didn't answer the door—he wanted to keep his face hidden. His voice was cold and unwelcoming, and I could see the guard's eyes widen slightly in fear.

"Lord Ren, you have a visitor request."

There was a long pause. "I gave orders that I was not to be disturbed."

"Yes, sir, I know, but she insisted—"

"Who is it?" Kylo cut him off, interest sparking his words.

The guard glanced at me, unsure of how to answer.

"It's me." I called softly.

There was another pause. The guard was holding his breath.

"Guard, you may leave now."

The young man's shoulders collapsed in relief, and he spared me one last look before he hurried down the hallway and out of sight, leaving me alone with the faceless voice that was Kylo Ren.