LIV

I waited impatiently inside the ship, my foot tapping quickly and my hands tied behind my back. A Resistance fighter stood beside me with a gun pointed at my head, ready in case something went wrong. I almost rolled my eyes at the precaution, but didn't protest. My armor sat packed in a case between my feet; I was glad Finn had returned it to me, or else I probably would have forgotten and left without it.

It seemed like an eternity since the leaders had left their ship to meet with Kylo, accompanied by what seemed like two dozen Resistance fighters with guns. I knew that if Kylo wanted to take them, he could, and he probably wouldn't struggle to win. I could only hope that he kept his head and remembered what was at stake—not just me.

I spared a glance at the guard next to me. He was young, younger than me. His nervousness seemed to radiate off him in waves, and I hoped for his sake that he wouldn't have to shoot me.

At last, the ramp began to lower. I squinted as bright light flooded through the once-dark ship, trying to assess what had happened based on the reactions of the approaching Resistance fighters.

Poe was the first one I recognized. He had a broad smile across his face as he approached, taking my elbow and helping me to my feet.

"I've come to deliver you to Ren."

"What happened?" I demanded. "Did you reach an agreement?"

"Kind of." He kept his hand on my lower back as we walked down the ramp and across the tarmac, and his unloaded gun pointed at me—mostly for show. "Nothing is for sure yet, but he seemed to take our proposition well. We are going to continue negotiations. I think that means the end of the war is near." He couldn't keep the excitement out of his voice, and I grinned.

At last I caught sight of Kylo. He stood outside of the ship he had arrived on, his hands behind his back and his eyes trained on the ground. I was surprised to see that his mask was nowhere in sight, his thin face fully exposed to the morning air.

Leia was watching her son from afar. A small smile graced her lips at the sight of his face, despite the long and unfamiliar scar that ran down the side of it. I caught her eye as we passed, and we exchanged a polite nod. Poe untied my hands, and I broke into a run as I neared Kylo.

It took everything I had not to throw my arms around him. I knew he wouldn't want that, so I restrained myself, resorting to merely standing beside him. Relief flooded his eyes as he spotted me, but he remained still. Together we gave a quick farewell nod to Poe, who returned it. Then I followed Kylo onboard, and the ramp closed behind us.

The second the ramp was up, Kylo immersed me in a tight hug. I returned it with a grin, burying my face into his chest. We stood like that, holding each other, even as the engines ignited and we took to the sky. I felt him rest his chin on the top of my head, and I breathed in the familiar scent of his cloak, thankful that I was returning home.

When he finally released me, he kept his hands on my shoulders, his dark eyes sweeping over me.

"Are you alright?"

I nodded. "Absolutely."

He gave a sigh of relief, his shoulders slumping noticeably. "It's good to have you back."

My heart warmed at his words. I gave him a small smile. "Thank you for coming to get me."

Kylo gave me a strange look.

"How did the meeting go? Did you reach any agreements?" I changed the subject.

He ran his fingers through his hair, staying quiet for a moment. His eyes turned to the floor, and my heart fell a bit.

"Calia... you and I both agree with the Resistance that this war needs to end. But I can tell you that there is no way the Supreme Leader is going to negotiate with the Resistance. He wishes only to crush them. Coexistence is not an option to him."

I frowned. "But they said that you said that we would continue to try and find a solution."

"That may not be an option."

My mind was racing. "Then why—"

"I came here for one reason and one reason only. To get you back. As much as I like the idea of an armistice, it's just not possible with the First Order."

I took a step away from him, my eyes wide. "So the war is going to continue? Until all of the Resistance are dead?"

"Yes."

I blinked, a feeling of hollowness in my chest. "So you lied to them? To the leaders of the Resistance?"

"I said that I would try to figure something out. And I intend to do exactly that. But it won't be easy."

"What can be done?"

Kylo gazed at me for a long time, sadness sparkling in his eyes. "Things are going to change very soon, Cal. We need to be ready when they do."

"What do you mean by change?" My voice shook. "Kylo, what are you saying?"

"I don't know yet." He sighed.

There was a slight drop as the ship began its descent.

"For now, you need to return to your daily schedule as usual. Act as you normally would. When I figure things out, I'll let you know."

I eyed him, nervous at what his words could imply. "You promise?"

He took my hand in his, staring down at it intently. "I promise."

I sighed, a feeling of dread creeping over me of what was yet to come.