XCIII

I had a strange sense of déjà vu as I raced towards the platform, doing everything within my power to reach Ben in time. I extended my arm with my lightsaber, swinging it upwards just in time for it to connect with Snoke's and curve the path of his swing so that it just barely missed Ben.

"Calia, get out of here!" Ben hissed, taking the split second of time that I provided to scramble to his feet.

I didn't have time to respond before I was dodging an attack from Snoke. Despite his elderly appearance, he moved with a dangerous grace, and I knew that he was as deadly as any opponent I had faced. He did not seem fazed by the prospect of facing Ben and I simultaneously; the three of us fell into a dance of blazing blades, the three different shades of red seeming to bleed into each other.

Blood pounded in my ears as I sidestepped another attack, swinging my blade in hopes of corralling the older man into Ben's striking range. He seemed to know what I was doing, though, and easily stepped out of reach of both of us. There was a slight pause where all three of us fought to regain our breath; I kept my saber raised defensively, but it seemed that there was an unspoken armistice, no matter how brief.

"You fight well." Snoke stared at me with snake-like features. "It would be an honor for you to join me at the top of the First Order."

"Don't talk to her!" Ben snapped.

Snoke's eyes snapped to his other opponent. "Why? Are you afraid she might choose to leave you? Join the better side, where she'll be welcomed and handed power freely?"

"She's better than that. She's better than you." Having regained his breath, Ben stood tall and addressed Snoke evenly.

"Then why do I sense doubt in her mind?" Snoke's lip curled into a smile. "Do you not sense it also?"

Ben slowly turned to face me, his eyes dark.

I shook my head feverishly. "Ben, don't listen to him. He's lying. I have no doubts about where I belong. With you, remember?"

A slight frown creased Ben's features. "But he's right. There's doubt in your mind."

My eyes widened. "I—"

"Are you actually considering rejoining the First Order?" Ben turned to face me completely, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a cruel smile cross Snoke's face.

"No! You have to believe me, please—"

"How could you do that?" Ben looked like he was in pain. "How could you even think about coming back to this place, the place where you lost everything?"

"I didn't lose everything." I murmured.

It was the wrong thing to say. Ben's eyes widened, and he took a step back, shaking his head in disbelief. His lips parted, but no sound came out.

"Ben, please!" I begged. "It's him! He's playing with your mind, putting things there that aren't real. There are no doubts in my mind at all. I know where I belong, and so do you."

Ben's expression mirrored the conflict that was raging inside him. I took a step towards him, sheathing my lightsaber and raising my hands defensively.

My allegiance is with you.

The transfer of that single thought seemed to snap Ben out of a trance. He lunged forward, lightsaber blazing, just in time to intercept an attack from Snoke that was clearly intended for me. The two reengaged in a brutal battle, Ben's anger fueling his every action.