LXX

I was right.

We awoke in the middle of the night to the sounds of shouts in the streets outside. I scrambled out of bed to the window. Below, the sentry was taking aim at two dark figures. He commanded them to stand still and raise their hands, but as I watched, one pulled out a gun and shot the sentry down.

"Everyone up!" I alerted the crew with a shout, who were looking around with confused and sleepy glances. I grabbed my blaster and raced downstairs, neglecting to put on my armor in the interest of time.

The two figures had broken into a run as they left the scene, leaving the sentry bleeding out on the ground. I wove in and out of alleyways as I pursued them, running as quickly as my feet would carry me so I wouldn't lose them. I caught a glimpse of the Resistance symbol on the jacket of the one closest to me.

They seemed to be heading in the direction of the central government building. My heart sunk as my suspicions were confirmed and they raced up the front steps of the building. One of them caught sight of me and fired a shot over his shoulder. It whizzed past me as I answered with a shot of my own, hitting the doorway just above where they were disappearing into the building.

The others were beginning to catch up, panting heavily through the air filters of their helmets. They filed out of the alley behind me, glancing at me as they awaited instruction.

"Two Resistance fighters just entered the government building." I informed them, raising my voice so they could hear. "It is likely that there are many more inside. Set up a boundary surrounding the building. Nobody goes in or out, understand? Nobody leaves that building alive unless they are one of us!"

The troopers nodded and set up as I asked. I watched them as they moved, taking a deep breath as I realized what I had to do. I gestured for the two nearest troopers to follow me as I started towards the building, raising my blaster in preparation.

The front door was left cracked open; I pushed it open silently with a glance at my two accomplices. We crept silently through the dark hallway inside. Light filtered through the crack under the doors of the conference room, and quiet voices sounded through the empty air.

I lowered myself to all fours, trying to see through the gap under the door. I counted nine pairs of feet and exhaled silently, wondering what our odds were. Hopefully somebody had thought to call for backup, but there was no way that it would arrive in time.

"Go get two more troopers." I breathed instructions to the two troopers behind me. "And tell the others to close in tightly along the back of the building. I don't want anyone escaping through the windows."

They nodded and departed silently. I held my breath as they went, trying to catch what the voices inside the conference room were saying. Unable to make out their words, I dared take a step forward. The floor creaked under my step, and I swore under my breath. All talking in the conference room ceased.

I raised my blaster, knowing what was about to happen. The doors to the conference room flew open, and I was greeted by three Resistance fighters with guns pointed at my head. I met their glares evenly, wondering if there was any way I escaped this alive.

"Put your gun on the floor and put your hands behind your head." One of them instructed.

"And then what?" I gave him an incredulous look. "I wait while you leave? Do you honestly think I came here alone?"

He exchanged a nervous glance with the other fighters. "You're lying."

I scoffed. "Then why don't you take a step outside and find out?"

"Put your gun on the floor." He insisted, taking a step towards me.

I rolled my eyes but did as he said, raising my hands to show I had nothing else on me. The other troopers chose that moment to return with backup, and the hallway suddenly exploded in gunfire. I flattened myself to the floor to avoid being hit by either side, clutching my blaster to my chest and squeezing my eyes shut.

Nice timing, guys.

I rolled towards the Resistance fighters and used the butt of my blaster to take out one of their knees. He fell to the floor with a cry of pain, and I hit him over the head with my gun to silence him.

One of the other Resistance fighters fell, hit by a blaster shot in the chest. I didn't look, but I was certain that we had lost a couple troopers as well.

I used the sudden opening in the doorway to scramble through the gap where he had once stood. I became immersed in light as I entered the main conference room, whipping my blaster up with me as I stood.

The moment I was on my feet, I was frozen. My eyes widened as I recognized three of the six figures standing in front of me—Rey, Poe, and a bearded man who could only have been Luke Skywalker.