LI

Instead of spending the next few days alone in my room, I decided to make myself of use with chores around the base. It helped pass the time, and as much as a voice in my head protested helping the Resistance in any way, I knew that helping clean off returning fighter jets wasn't much of a betrayal to the First Order.

An uneasy trust had developed between the others and myself. I was still kept purposefully from all Resistance communications and strategizing meetings, for obvious reasons, but it seemed that I was otherwise accepted as a person rather than just a prisoner. The thought crossed my mind to try and intercept information that could prove useful to the First Order, but if I was caught I knew I would likely be confined to my room until the meeting was finished, and all trust would be dissolved.

Poe had been assigned as my permanent escort, following me everywhere when I requested to go outside. But I noticed that he kept his gun in its holster, and often caught him not paying attention as to what I was doing. Sometimes we made easy conversation as we wandered, and sometimes we would stay completely silent. He was an easy presence to be around.

The sun was setting as I finished up wiping down the wings of a returning jet, and I had a specific request on my mind.

"Poe?" I asked hesitantly, slinging my cleaning rag over my shoulder and climbing down from the jet.

He sat with his back leaning against one of the wheels of the jet, staring into the distance.

"Yeah?" He seemed to snap out of a trance as he heard my voice.

"Can I go outside tonight?"

"Tonight?" A slight crease appeared on his forehead. "Why?"

I chewed my lip for a moment. "I want to see the stars."

He shrugged. "I don't see why not. We'll go after dinner."

I grinned. "Thank you!"

Dinner seemed to last an eternity. I nudged Poe a couple times in an attempt to encourage him to eat faster, but he would only cast me an annoyed look and continue at the same pace. I drummed my fingers impatiently against the table, watching him anxiously. At last, he caught my gaze, and heaved a loud sigh, picking up the rest of his meal in his hand and throwing his tray away.

"Let's go." He muttered, stuffing the last bits of his food into his mouth.

I grinned and scrambled to my feet, following him out of the dining hall and back out onto the tarmac. It was completely dark; no lights illuminated the concrete. But I preferred it that way—despite how difficult it made it to see, the darkness made the stars seem even brighter as they hung above us.

I walked out into the middle of the tarmac where there were no jets to block my view and lay flat on my back. After a moment, Poe joined me.

"Any particular reason for this?" He didn't seem impressed by the display of lights overhead.

"You don't like looking at the stars?" I kept my gaze trained on the white speckles twinkling against the black velvet sky.

"I see them all the time. I guess they aren't that special anymore."

"That's too bad." My eyes scanned the sky, trying to recognize any of the constellations from my night on the roof with Mason.

I wonder if he's up there now, looking at the same stars.

The thought made my heart throb. I missed him—his laugh, his smile. It seemed that it had been forever since I saw him last, even though I knew it had only been a matter of days.

He probably thinks you're dead.

A gasp caught in my throat at that prospect, and Poe cast an alarmed glance in my direction.

"You okay?"

I blinked unwelcome tears from my eyes, and waited for the lump in my throat to dissolve before speaking. "Yes. I just—I miss my friends. My boyfriend."

"Ren?"

I twisted to look at him. "Kylo's not my boyfriend."

Even in the dark, I could see Poe's expression of surprise. "That's news to me."

I sighed, returning my gaze to the stars. "He's my best friend, but not my boyfriend. Everybody seems to assume that."

Poe snorted. "Maybe it's because he's willing to end a war to get you back." There was a moment of silence before he exhaled slightly. "You'll be back to your friends soon. It's only a matter of time now."

I nodded, even though I knew he probably couldn't see me. "How long, do you think?"

"I don't think a date has been set yet. But it could be as early as the day after tomorrow."

I jolted upright, staring at him. "That soon?"

Poe sat up too, eyeing me. "Like I said—Ren wants you back. He doesn't like you being here any more than you do—less, actually."

I chuckled softly. "He doesn't know how soft you guys are."

Poe gaped at me, unable to keep the smile off his face. "The Resistance isn't soft!"

I gave him an incredulous look. "I convinced my armed escort to take me stargazing."

His eye twitched as he pressed his lips together, fighting to think of a response.

I laughed, patting his shoulder. "I'm only teasing. The Resistance isn't soft. Only you are."

His momentary relief was replaced by indignance. "Watch it, Callie. Or I won't take you stargazing again."

I gasped theatrically and he grinned, climbing to his feet and offering me a hand. I took it gratefully, allowing him to pull me to my feet. I jumped a bit as I felt the barrel of his gun nudge me in the side.

"Alright, prisoner," he barked. "Back to your quarters."

I chuckled as he nudged me forward with his unloaded gun, holding my hands up in surrender as we walked back to my room.

"Thank you for indulging me." I smiled softly when we reached my door. "With the stars, I mean."

Poe shrugged. "Sure. But next time, don't rush me when I'm eating."

I laughed breathlessly as I shut the door. As I turned, disappointment sunk through my chest, and suddenly I wanted nothing more than for my room to have a window so I could continue my admiration of the night sky.