LVI

Something was different now that I was back at the First Order base. The halls were the same, the barracks had not changed; but something was different, and I couldn't explain what it was.

The moment I entered the barracks a smaller body crashed against mine, trapping me in a strangling hug.

"Hey, Malia." I smiled softly, resting my cheek on the top of her head.

"I thought you were dead." Her voice was muffled through the material of my shirt.

"No, I'm very alive." I rubbed her back lightly, hoping she would ease her grip on me. "It takes more than a few Resistance fighters to get rid of me."

"But you were gone for so long!" She finally took a step back and watched me with wide eyes. "Were they holding you prisoner? Did they torture you?"

I pushed past her gently to set my armor case under my bed. "I guess technically I was a prisoner, but no, they didn't torture me. They just needed me—" I cut myself off, wondering how much information I should be disclosing to young ears.

"For what?" Malia sat on my bed attentively.

"That's confidential." I gave her a cheeky smile. "Sorry, Mal."

She gave a huff and glared at me, clearly not enjoying not knowing.

"What matters is that I'm back." I gave her shoulder a pat. "So you have someone to annoy again."

Malia gave a grudging smile.

"Now, there's someone else I have to go visit." My mind wandered to the medical wing.

"Have fun." She giggled, and I cast her a playful glare as I passed her and exited the barracks.

As I entered the hospital, I spotted Mason right away. He stood with his back to me, working on a patient. The nurse that was assisting him was first to spot him, and she let out a gentle gasp as she recognized me.

Mason turned to see what the nurse was staring at, and his green eyes locked on me. He stood frozen in place, his eyes wide and shock clear across his face. In less than a heartbeat, he had abandoned his patient, leaving the nurse to pick up the work, and crossed the room, enveloping me in a tight embrace. I could feel his heart pounding in his chest as he buried his face in the crook between my neck and my shoulder.

"Hi." I whispered.

He looked up at me, tears glistening in his eyes. "I thought I had lost you."

I offered him a small smile. "I'm here."

"Yes, you are. And I don't think I've ever been happier." He peppered my face with soft kisses, his stubbly jaw tickling my skin. "I can't believe Ren pulled it off." He grinned tearfully. "That bastard, he actually got you back."

I frowned. "How did you know where I was?"

Mason gave a sheepish grin. "He told me."

My eyes widened. "Kylo?"

Mason gave a little laugh, taking my hand and pulling me out of the main wing and into one of the back rooms.

"It was a, uh, strange conversation, but essentially he came in here a few days after you were taken and filled me in on what was going on. Honestly, I was surprised that he came to talk to me at all, but I was mostly relieved that you were still alive."

I giggled at the idea of Kylo and Mason having a civilized chat, no matter how severe the circumstances seemed to be. "He must have loved that."

Mason rolled his eyes. "He still hates me. That part hasn't changed. But he must have thought that you would want me to know where you were, and so he did it for you."

My heart warmed at my friend's faithfulness, despite his obvious distaste for my boyfriend.

Mason pressed a kiss to my forehead. "I'm so glad he got you back. I don't know what I would have done if I had lost you."

I grabbed the collar of his white doctor's coat and pulled his lips to mine. "It's good to be back."

He cupped my face with both hands, deepening the kiss. "I love you so much."

"And I love you." I grinned against his lips. When we pulled apart, I dissolved into laughter. "I still can't believe he came and talked to you."

Mason joined in. "I couldn't believe it either, when I saw him. I thought maybe he was here to finish me off or something."

I swatted his shoulder playfully. "Don't say that. He would never hurt you."

He gave a strange smile. "Why do you say that?"

"He knows that I would yell at him for it." I giggled.

Mason laughed breathlessly. "Calia, I swear you have that man wrapped so far around your finger—"

I shrugged, grinning. "Looks like there's something you two have in common."

Mason gaped for a moment before giving a barking laugh. He pulled me in for another kiss, a smile spread widely across his face. "That's very true."