LXXI

Rey stood with her hand extended, keeping me still, and Poe swore under his breath as he recognized me. Skywalker regarded me stonily, knowing me as nothing more than a member of the First Order. I felt small under his gaze, as if he were assessing me and passing judgment. It was the same feeling I had gotten when I first met Kylo, as if they were probing through my every thought and memory to decide how they felt about me. I shook my head slightly to clear the thought, turning instead towards my two friends.

"What are you doing here?" I hissed.

"What are you doing here?" Poe countered, glancing down the hallway where troopers were still locked in battle with the last fighter. He didn't wait for an answer before he turned to the others. "If she's here, Ren's not far away. We need to leave, now."

"He's not here." I growled. "It's only me and my squadron. We're here alone."

Rey didn't look convinced, but she dropped her hand. I breathed a sigh of relief as she released me, and I lowered my blaster. The remaining Resistance fighters exchanged a glance, unsure of why I wasn't trying to fight my way out.

"We're here to exterminate all Resistance fighters in the city." I informed Poe and Rey, moving so I could glance out one of the covered windows. The troopers were still lined up outside, waiting for any sign of movement. "One of yours took out our sentry and brought us straight to you."

Poe let out an irritated noise.

I turned to face him. "I can't let you leave, you know that." My voice was quiet.

"Can't you call off your troopers?" Rey looked hopeful. "We'll leave the city for good, and we won't come back."

I shook my head, regret surging through me. "I can't just let you go. I'm sorry. It would take no time at all for word to reach Hux that I let three of the most wanted Resistance fighters leave without a fight, and that would not go over well for me."

Luke was still staring at me with cold blue eyes. I shrunk away from his relentless gaze, feeling uncomfortable.

"So what do we do, then?" Poe sighed, and my eyes darted back to him.

"I don't want to hurt you guys." I told them honestly. "But I can't let you walk out of here. If you just come with me—"

"Not happening." Poe shook his head. "If we leave with you, we're dead for sure. The Order has been looking to cut Luke out of the picture for a long time now, and this would give them the perfect opportunity."

I grimaced. "Then I don't know what to do."

The Resistance fighter retreated from the hallway and closed the doors firmly behind him, blocking out the approaching troopers. There was a bang as a shot hit the closed door, and hurried footsteps as the troopers raced towards the room. The doors rattled as my troopers fought to pull them open, and I winced when I realized they might succeed.

The fighter turned to face me, his gun pointed directly at my face. He stared at me with focus in his dark eyes, his shoulders still heaving with heavy breaths.

"Lane, stand down." Poe raised a hand to stop him. "She's a friend."

Lane reluctantly lowered his gun, flashing the pilot a confused glance. "She's one of them."

"She's the trooper who stayed with us a while back, remember? Calia?"

Lane's eyes widened and he turned to face me. "Kylo's pet." The words seemed to pass through his lips before he could think about them.

Anger surged through me, and I curled my lip. Poe winced, knowing the nickname had struck a nerve.

"I am no one's pet." I spat at the young man, rage building in my chest. I began to pace the room. "Especially not Kylo's."

Lane shrunk back, alarmed by my response. I rounded on Poe and Rey, still smarting from Lane's remark. "If you don't come peacefully, then you are going to have to fight your way out."

The pounding on the door grew louder, and one of the hinges came loose. The troopers would break through at any moment, and I saw a nervous look pass among the Resistance fighters at the prospect. There was a soft click as one of them loaded their gun.

"Callie, neither of us want that." Poe pleaded. "There has to be another way."

"There isn't." I snapped. "Make your choice, or it will be made for you."

The two exchanged a glance, and Rey opened her mouth to speak.

Then the door broke down.