XXXI

It was the morning of the raid. A spark of resentment burned in my chest at the stiffness of my muscles—there had been no easing up on training leading up to the mission, and I was suffering the effects of it.

I gritted my teeth as I pulled on my armor, trying to disregard the nagging soreness throughout my body.

I didn't remember much about my nap in Kylo's quarters, besides how comfortable his bed had been, and how dark and cool his room was. I had woken up feeling more refreshed than I had in months; now I flashed a glare at my thin mattress, wondering if it was at fault for my body's inability to repair itself.

Kylo's vulnerability was more striking in memory; at the time, nothing had seemed abnormal, but looking back, I realized that he had willingly shared what was probably his darkest secret with me. That was kind of a strange idea. Weeks ago, he wouldn't have given me a second glance if we had passed each other in the corridor. So much had changed in so little time.

The sound of marching steps outside indicated that it was time to leave. I went out of my way to pass the medical wing as I walked. Mason was standing in the doorway with the other nurses, watching the endless lines of trooper pass. I waved at him as I went, and he grinned and gave me a thumbs-up. I smiled beneath my helmet at his enthusiasm.

I followed the line of troopers to the loading docks, where we received our ship assignments. It was no surprise that I was assigned to Kylo's ship once again. He hadn't arrived yet, and I was unsure of where to stand once we were cleared to board—do I stand in line, as usual? Or did I go to the back as I did last time? I decided to take my normal place in line with the troopers, facing forward without speaking.

A few moments later, Kylo boarded, his black cape billowing behind him and his silver mask glinting in the light. As he passed me, he flicked his hand, indicating for me to follow. I did as he requested, wondering if this was the new normal. I assumed position beside him wordlessly, feeling for the first time an air of pride at being superior to the other troopers. I lifted my chin slightly.

Soon we were in the air. I closed my eyes, Captain Phasma's instructions echoing in my ears.

Find the Resistance fighters. Destroy the city. Eliminate anyone who interferes.

We landed shakily, and the ramp lowered to reveal a thick jungle surrounding us. The troopers began their march towards the city, which was cloaked in the comfort of the bushy trees and dark undergrowth.

This may be harder than I thought, I realized, examining the overgrown forest around us.

Kylo motioned for me to follow him. Together we picked our way through the jungle after the troopers. Kylo used his lightsaber to hack away any vines or branches blocking our path, clearing a fairly simple path.

Flashes from up ahead announced that the battle had begun. Shouts echoed around the otherwise silent jungle. I felt a drip of sweat run down my back; even though it was nighttime, this planet was exceedingly hot, and the humidity made it hard to breathe normally. I lifted my blaster in anticipation as we cleared the jungle and came to what must have been the city.

The stone buildings were tucked neatly in between trees. Vines and bushes surrounded them, cloaking them in tactful camouflage. The troopers had wasted no time in setting up bombs to blast away the heavy doors, revealing the dark interiors.

I fired a shot at a fleeing figure with the symbol of the Resistance across the back of their jacket; they fell face first to the ground and did not move. My eyes scanned the scene, assessing where we needed the most help. The flash of a lightsaber drew my attention.

It was the girl. She fought masterfully, deflecting blaster shots and cutting down troopers who came too close. Kylo had seen her too; he tugged my wrist briefly before making her way towards her, igniting his red flame of a lightsaber as he walked. I flanked him, firing shots into the crowds of anyone who attempted to stop or deter our path.

The girl's eyes widened as she spotted him approaching, and she wasted no time in engaging him in a duel. Although she fought bravely, it soon became clear that she was no match for Kylo when he was in full health. Her movements became sloppy and desperate as she repeatedly fended off his attacks.

A thought flashed through my mind: When I first met Kylo in the hospital wing, he said that his injury had been from a lightsaber. Was it the girl who had done that? Anger sparked in my chest at the idea, and I turned and took aim at her, holding off on firing so I wouldn't risk hitting Kylo. They broke apart for a heartbeat, and I had a clean shot ready.

My focus was broken by a heavy weight landing on my back. I tumbled to the ground, my head striking a nearby rock and my helmet tumbling off and rolling a few feet away. I twisted around to face my attacker, using my blaster as a club to hit him in the head. His fingers wrapped around my throat despite my heavy hits, and I fought to free myself as my air supply was cut off. I jabbed my knee into the man's stomach, lightening his grip for a moment as the air was momentarily knocked from his lungs. I threw a desperate punch at the man's face, making contact with his temple and drawing a hiss of pain from between his teeth. I quickly rolled over, flipping him off me, and scrambled to my feet, aiming a swift kick at his head that left him unmoving on the ground.

My first instinct was to find Kylo. He was still locked in combat with the girl, twirling in a dance of glowing lights and vicious movements. I glanced around, catching sight of my black helmet lying on the ground not far away from where they were fighting. I made a quick move for it, realizing too late that my timing was poor.

The girl's lightsaber caught me in the face as she followed through a swing, ripping across my skin from my jaw up my cheek and barely missing my eye, finishing in the middle of my forehead. A fire was ignited in my face, its flames licking away at my burnt flesh. A ragged scream left my mouth and I fell to the ground, cradling my head in pain.