XLIII

Our conversation was interrupted by the tapping of approaching footsteps against the tiled floors. We looked up to see General Hux approaching, his pale features sharp and expression as cold as ever.

"Lord Ren, it is essential that you come with me." He spoke directly to Kylo, ignoring my presence altogether.

"Can it wait?" Kylo snapped. I could almost see the glare from beneath his mask.

"I'm afraid not. It's..." Hux gave me a sideways glance. "Urgent."

"Very well. Come along." Kylo spoke to me now, indicating that I should follow.

My eyebrows rose, and my eyes flicked between the two men. It seemed quite clear that whatever was the matter was something Hux did not want me to hear.

"Sir, this is something of utmost importance." Hux gave him a meaningful look. "I am not sure that CL-1823 should—"

"That's not her name." Kylo snapped. "And I didn't ask for your opinion. She's coming with."

Hux hesitated, flashing me a cold look before nodding curtly. "Very well."

He turned on his heel and departed. I flashed Kylo a curious glance before following, the sound of our feet touching the floor sending tapping echoes through the suddenly silent hallway. Hux led us through the winding hallways to a wing that I had never been to before; I began to doubt whether or not I would be able to find my way back out.

At last we reached a room with double doors. The doors slid open smoothly, revealing a large table surrounded by seated officials. The table was lit by some sort of holographic map, casting a pale blue light onto the walls. Those who were seated before stood as we entered, giving Kylo nods of greeting as he strode in. I noticed a few of them exchange glances as I followed, and I suddenly felt very out of place.

"We have managed to locate a key Resistance base." Hux announced once we had entered the room.

My heart began to race. I don't know what I had expected, but this was not it.

Hux pressed a button on the side of the table, and a holographic planet rose into the air. I gazed at it with wide eyes, impressed by how detailed the image was. We zoomed in to a portion of the planet, and the image rotated to give us a three-dimensional view of what appeared to be a forest. A gap in the forest revealed a trapezoidal building, its exterior marked by the symbol of the Resistance.

"It has been confirmed to be housing a generous supply of weaponry, as well as several key Resistance figureheads." Hux's eyes were illuminated by the hue of the hologram as he spoke. "It is our recommendation that we attack immediately, before they have a chance to relocate or disperse their materials."

Kylo stared at the image for a moment before speaking. "I agree."

Hux almost seemed surprised at Kylo's easy agreement, but he managed to hide it well. "There is a heavily-guarded border around the building itself, so I think a multi-sided invasion is best, so as to keep their ranks divided." He pointed to a ring of light surrounding the area of the building, indicating where the Resistance kept guard. "A two-sided attack, perhaps? A ship from each side, with aerial support?"

"Three fronts would be better." The words left my mouth before I could bite them back.

Hux gave me a sharp glare, clearly displeased that I had spoken up. The others merely gazed at me, waiting for me to elaborate. I took a quick breath before stepping forward and gesturing to the hologram.

"The base is too small to be hiding very many, if any, air fighters. The aerial support would be a waste of backup. If we land ships on both sides of the base to begin the initial attack, it will draw away the guards from the area directly opposite the base." I pointed to the spot across the clearing, which would be abandoned when attacks arrived on the sides. "A third delayed attack should come when these guards have left their posts to help the others. It will leave a fairly open lane to reach the battle. By the time they realize their mistake, we should have been able to clear the field and reach the building. In addition, the third attack can dispatch a few troopers to take on the Resistance fighters from behind, essentially trapping them between two lines of our fighters."

I took a step back and bit my lip, wondering if I had gone too far. I wasn't here to give my opinion, and suddenly I was afraid that I had overstepped my boundaries.

But the officials only exchanged nods as they reviewed my plan.

"That seems to be a solid plan of attack." One of them, a sharp-faced woman, spoke at last. "Well done, trooper."

I exhaled a silent breath, relief flooding through me. Kylo's hand brushed my back lightly, conveying his approval through the slightest of actions.

Hux's pale glare was boring into my helmet from across the room, livid at being shown up by a trooper. Still, he said nothing.

"I will alert Phasma to organize a briefing." One of the men stood. "We attack in the morning."

Kylo gave a curt nod, and strode out of the room. I flashed a quick salute before following him closely. I couldn't help one last smug glance at Hux over my shoulder as we went. He was still glowering, his lips pressed tightly together.

I followed Kylo silently down the corridor until we turned the corner to stand in front of the door of his room. He pulled off his mask and turned to face me, his dark eyes sparkling with pride.

"Well done." He put a hand on my shoulder, a smile curving his lips. "You made Hux look like an idiot."

I pulled off my helmet and shrugged, unable to keep the grin off my face. "His plan was a bad one."

Kylo let out a light laugh. "And yours was a good one." He gave my shoulder a squeeze before withdrawing his hand. "You should go get some rest before the briefing. We're going to have an early morning tomorrow."

I flashed a mocking salute. "Yes, sir."

He rolled his eyes and turned away, but not before I saw the smile on his lips.