XX

The next four days saw a repeated schedule. In the mornings, I trained with Mason. Then I had a short break to shower and refresh before I sat with Kylo for the rest of the afternoon.

It wasn't my normal schedule, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. Mason was much more pleasant than the other troopers, and Kylo was... company.

Each day I told him something different. I could tell stories, or muse about things I'd wondered about. He never interrupted, letting me talk for long periods of time. He always kept his eyes fixed on me as I rambled, which was uncomfortable at first, but I became accustomed to it and it no longer bothered me.

He rarely reacted to what I said. Sometimes, he would make microexpressions when I said something particularly interesting, but I had to look closely to notice them and I wasn't always looking at him when I spoke.

I made him laugh once. I don't remember what I said, but I remember the sound it made. It wasn't the same short, bitter laugh I had heard a few times before. It was a genuine laugh, one that startled me and elated me at the same time. I grinned at the noise but continued on with my story, trying not to make too big of a deal of it, wondering if I could make him do it again. I couldn't.

He never fixed my hand, at least not completely. To be honest, it didn't need any more healing. The bruises were almost completely gone, and the scratches had been reduced to tiny white lines. But each day as I left, he told me to come back so he could fix it. And each day I did, but he never fixed it.

When I left the fourth day, he didn't say anything about my hand. I looked to him to offer some kind of indication that I should come back, but he said nothing. I departed with a soft sigh, wondering if I had started to bore him.

All during training the next morning, I debated internally as to whether or not I should go back. I considered asking Mason for his opinion but dismissed the idea quickly, knowing what his response would be.

"You're quiet today." Mason noted, green eyes fixed on me. "Is everything alright?"

"Yes." I forced a smile. "Just eager to get back to active duty."

He returned the smile halfheartedly. "Well, technically you've completed your training. The extra week was for extra reassurance, but it seems to me that you're physically fit to return. You have a habit of healing faster than expected."

My heart jumped. "Really?"

He nodded, and I flung my arms around him. "Thank you!"

He chuckled softly as he returned the hug, shaking his head slightly. "Just be extra careful for the first few days."

"I will," I promised, grinning broadly as I pulled away from the embrace. "Do you know when the next mission is?"

Mason frowned as he thought for a moment. "Actually, I think there's one tomorrow morning." He watched my excited reaction with a sparkle of sadness in his eyes. "Just promise... promise me you'll come back safely."

I gave him a knowing look. "I can't promise, but I'll try. Besides, if I get injured again, that means I get to come back and bother you in the hospital wing again."

He gave a soft laugh. "But that doesn't mean I want you to get hurt, Cal. We can keep seeing each other, though—preferably outside of the medical facilities."

"Sounds like a deal." I pulled him in for a quick kiss. "We'll figure something out."

There was a spring in my step as I left. Sometime while on the way back to the barracks, I decided that I was going to visit Kylo again to tell him the good news.

I showered and changed quickly, leaving my hair loose and wet as I made my way to the elevators. When I found myself in front of his door, I took a deep breath and knocked. There was no response. Hesitantly, I tried again, to no avail.

I glanced down the empty hallway, wondering if he was away in a meeting or doing something important. I slid to the floor with my back against the wall, deciding to wait for his return. I was sure he would be glad to hear that my new armor would finally be put to use, and I wanted to be the one to deliver the news.

I wasn't sure how long I sat there. My hair began to dry, and I regretted not bringing any hairbands to secure it with. Instead, it hung loose, beginning to curl softly around my face. I pulled at it with some disgust, not liking the strange wavy texture of my natural hair.

The sound of footsteps made me look up. Kylo was approaching from down the hall, but he was not alone. General Hux strode alongside him, a grim expression permanently painted across his face.

I scrambled to my feet, standing with my shoulders square and my hands behind my back. The pair didn't seem to notice me until they were right in front of me. They stopped dead in their tracks. I couldn't read Kylo's expression behind his mask, but Hux was noticeably not pleased with my presence. Thinking quickly, I flashed a quick salute.

"General Hux, sir." I glanced at Kylo. "Lord Ren."

"Can I help you?" Kylo's kept his voice formal.

"I was informed that I was summoned." I played along with his game with a glance at Hux. "But perhaps I was mistaken." I made as if to leave, but was stopped by Kylo's outstretched hand in my path.

"No, wait. I have a job for you to do, since you have nothing better to do than sit outside my door."

I nodded, swallowing and returning to my former stance.

"General Hux, we will continue this conversation later." Kylo dismissed the general.

Hux's pale eyes darted between us before he gave a curt nod and left. I watched his form grow smaller as he walked down the hallway, exhaling slowly when he turned a corner and disappeared.

"Come in." Kylo kept his mask on as he opened the door. I followed him inside.

"I'm sorry, I didn't think—" I started.

"No, you didn't." He snapped as he pulled off his mask, revealing a face creased with stress. "You can't just show up at my door whenever you please."

I lowered my eyes, and he let out a long sigh, tossing his mask onto his bed and running his gloved fingers through his hair.

"I just—I just assumed that I was supposed to keep coming back." Embarrassment coursed through my body. "It won't happen again."

Agitation seemed to radiate from Kylo. He paced for a few moments, seeming to be fighting to find what he wanted to say. Finally, he spoke.

"Did you have something to tell me?"

"Actually, yes." I met his gaze, my former enthusiasm dampened. "I've been cleared to go on the mission tomorrow morning."

Kylo's eyes widened for a fraction of a second. "What?"

"It looks like I'll be making my armor debut sooner than expected." I gave a nervous smile.

"No—No, you can't go." His face creased with a frown.

I gaped. "Why not? Mason said—"

"I've already told you, he's an idiot." Kylo snapped. "You're not going tomorrow."