XLIV

There was a contagious air of energy around the troopers as we sat impatiently through the mission brief. Having heard the plans already, I could barely listen to Phasma's instructions, my mind focused on the excitement of finally having located one of the Resistance bases.

Ever since the destruction of the Starkiller base, we had known the location of their headquarters. However, the destruction of our own base had delayed our attack, giving the Resistance enough time to relocate in another system and disappear from our radar. It had taken until now to locate any of their facilities.

I returned to the barracks eager to leave. Malia and I exchanged anxious glances we waited for the alarm to sound, indicating that it was time to leave. She sat uneasily on the edge of her bed, her fingers twitching and her feet tapping against the floor. I smiled to myself as I noticed her hair; it was braided in multiple strands along her scalp, identical to mine besides the obvious difference in color.

Anticipation flooded through my veins. I made my way to the restrooms and splashed some cold water on my face, trying to calm myself. A glimpse of my reflection in the mirror surprised me.

I had changed since my first mission. My face was thinner, my cheekbones more defined. My eyes were sharper, still the same pale blue as before, but somehow burning with new intensity. My light blonde braids had grown from shoulder-length to well down my back. My new longer hair fit better into five braids than three, and the new hairstyle somehow made me seem more mature. I gave myself one last glance before returning to the barracks, wondering how I hadn't noticed these changes before.

I pulled on my black armor quickly, anticipation making my movements jerky. As I pulled on my helmet, I became enveloped by a sense of determination. It was time to prove what the First Order was capable of.

My pace was slightly faster than the other troopers' as we made our way to the loading docks. They seemed to shift aside as I passed, and I wondered if that was out of fear or respect. I had given them no reason to fear me, but my alliance with Kylo was well-known by now, and perhaps they feared facing his wrath at any disrespect to me. Either way, I did not really mind.

I smiled softly to myself as I spotted Malia in line; she was a full head shorter than anyone else, and she seemed to be struggling to step in line with the other troopers. Each stride for the others was two for her; she resorted to taking unnaturally long steps in order to keep up. My smile faded, replaced by a frown of worry. What if something happened to her? She was so young, too young to be in battle. It didn't seem fair.

But I couldn't do anything about it. I passed her wordlessly and made my way to the boarding docks, sending a silent prayer to whatever higher powers there were that she would return safely.

The walk to the boarding dock seemed eternal. Never before had the hallways stretched so long, or the elevators taken so long to transport us from one floor to the next.

Adrenaline was coursing through me as I finally stepped out onto the docks, taking in the sight of the three ships standing proudly in line, waiting to be filled by troopers.

I knew which ship I was on; it was the same every time. Nevertheless, I stood with the others as we received our assignments. I gave a small sigh of relief as I heard Malia's number assigned to my ship. Maybe now I would be able to keep an eye on her. We dispersed to stand by our assigned vessels, waiting impatiently for clearance to board.

I nudged Malia lightly as I came to stand beside her. She gave me a sideways glance, then seemed to do a double take as she realized who it was. I couldn't see her face, but I could hear a slight exhale as she laughed and nudged me back.

Every trooper seemed to be holding their breath as we waited for clearance. We were united by an energy of impatience, eager to be back in the field after what seemed to be far too long. Not only that, but we were about to invade a Resistance base. It was a victory that the First Order needed; it seemed that as of lately the momentum had shifted in favor of the Resistance, and that needed to change.

I looked up to see a familiar cloaked figure striding towards the ship. Kylo didn't look at me as he passed; instead, he boarded wordlessly and disappeared into the depths of the ship. I watched him go, my foot starting to twitch impatiently.

The voice crackled over the loudspeaker, at last allowing us to board. I exhaled slowly and turned, following the cloud of troopers up the ramp and onto the waiting ship.