LXXIV

I was wandering through the hallways of the base, searching for something to do. There was no mission today, no chores to perform, and the hospital was almost completely empty. I was walking for the sake of walking; movement helped pass the time better than remaining still.

Footsteps caused me to glance up, and I froze at what I saw.

General Hux was discussing something quietly with two guards, their strides matched in perfect sync. When he spotted me, though, he paused.

Tears pricked at my eyes at the sight of his cruel face, remembering how it had watched so coldly as Mason was helplessly slaughtered feet away. I quickly turned to get as far away from him as possible.

"Calia." My full name sounded foreign on his tongue, and I almost wished he hadn't called me by it. It somehow felt wrong. "Do you have a moment?"

I stopped in my tracks, my eyes squeezing shut and my hands balled into fists. I turned slowly and faced him as he dismissed the guards and took a step towards me.

"Have you spoken to Kylo Ren lately?"

I gritted my teeth, and I swore I saw the ghost of a smirk across his lips.

"No, I haven't."

"That's a shame." He clasped his hands behind his back, his pale eyes seeming to stare through me.

I rolled my eyes, knowing he was baiting me. I didn't want to give in, but I knew I had to.

I crossed my arms over my chest. "Why? Why is it a shame?" Disgust was clear in my voice.

His eyebrows rose slightly. "I thought you knew."

His superiority complex was infuriating. It took everything I had not to reach out and slap his sharply-featured face.

"Hux, I'm not in the mood for playing games. If you have something to say to me, say it. Otherwise, I'd prefer you leave me alone."

Hux blinked. "I thought he would have told you by now that the second segment of his assessment has been scheduled for tomorrow. I'm sure he would like to talk to you about it, since you seem to be his sole confidant."

I glared at him. "I haven't spoken to him since the day he killed Mason under your orders. So, the answer is no, he hasn't told me about his assessment, and if he had, I wouldn't have cared."

The general was fighting a smile. "I'm sorry to hear that."

"No you're not." I snapped.

He raised an eyebrow at my retort, but didn't argue. "That is all for now. You are dismissed, CL-1823."

I ground my teeth together before spinning on my heel and marching away from Hux as fast as I could. I was blinded by anger, enraged that the general had had the nerve to bring up Kylo to me, when he clearly knew my current sentiments toward the man. He had been obviously trying to provoke me, and it had worked, more so than he had probably intended.

The toe of my boot hit a wall, and I looked up, blinking in shock when I realized where I was. In my mindless fury, my feet had led me straight to Kylo's door. I stared at it for a moment, my heart in my throat. With a sudden stroke of courage, I raised my hand to knock. But my courage failed, and my hand dropped back to my side. I leaned my forehead against the door, my heart hurting from being pulled in so many directions.

A soft sob escaped my lips, and I retreated from Kylo's door. I broke into a run as I moved down the hall, suddenly wanting nothing more than to be alone. As I turned the corner, I heard the unmistakable sound of his door opening. Then, a moment later, it closed. I slid to the ground with my back against the wall and buried my face in my hands, feeling hot tears roll down my cheeks.

How had everything gone so wrong so quickly?