XLII

I stared at my feet as I left the roof in an attempt to hide my wide smile. I made my way down the hallways, chewing my lip and hoping that no one would notice the grin I couldn't seem to erase from my face.

"Cal!" A familiar mechanical voice caused me to snap my head up, smile finally fading.

Kylo's black cape billowed out behind him as he approached me, his pace heightened.

"Hi." I frowned, a bit confused by his hurry.

"I need to talk to you." His words were smudged by breathlessness. "I couldn't find you, I've been looking everywhere—"

"I was...busy." I said, glancing over my shoulder. "Look, I was just about to go get my armor so I could get some stuff done—walk with me?"

He paused, then nodded, following me down the hall in the direction I had been walking before.

"What's the matter?" I asked him as we went.

"I asked around, and I think I know why they changed the age restrictions on new troopers." His words were stronger now that he had caught his breath.

My eyebrows rose. I had entirely forgotten to find Hux and ask him myself. "And? Actually, hold that thought." We had reached the barracks. "I'll be right back."

I left him outside as I rushed to pull on my armor, leaving my helmet for last as I finally rejoined him. He hadn't moved, but his foot was tapping impatiently as he waited.

"Alright, so what did you find out?"

"Apparently the high number of missions has cost us too many troopers—their numbers are dropping, and it's not just from the battles. It's exhaustion and disease, too. They're having a hard time keeping numbers up, so they're filling the gaps with the younger trainees."

My eyes widened as I listened. "That's terrible. Can't we just limit the number of missions instead?"

He shook his head. "The First Order's priority is maintaining its image of total control. We can't let up on the raids, or else it might look like we're starting to become tolerant."

"So we sacrifice first years instead." I murmured.

"They're starting with younger recruits now, so they can be trained and released into active service at an earlier age." Kylo cast a glance at me as we walked.

"That means that as long as our numbers are down, they'll just keep lowering the age restrictions." I mused, a sick feeling in my stomach. "We could have children out there fighting against highly-trained adults."

Kylo nodded. "They've already discussed making the graduation age fifteen instead of sixteen."

I whipped around to face him. "They can't do that! Can't they see what a mistake they're making?"

"Keep your voice down." He hissed, glancing around to make sure nobody was around to hear my outburst.

"Lowering the fighting age won't help them." I gritted my teeth, forcing myself to speak at a lower volume. "Putting kids on the battlefield will only result in mistakes being made, and that will cost them their lives and the lives of older troopers as well."

"I agree with you."

I blinked, certain I had misheard him. "You do?"

He nodded wordlessly.

"I thought you approved of the rule changes?" I stared at him, wondering what had happened to change his mind.

"I said that sixteen was old enough for fighting. But graduating them any younger is a risk, like you said."

I nodded, glad that he concurred. "Is there anything that we can do to keep them from changing the restrictions again?"

He shook his head. "That's not really my area. Hux is in charge of the trooper program, and he's not easy to negotiate with. He doesn't care about the younger troopers like you do. They're just numbers to him."

I frowned. "And talking to him won't change his mind."

Kylo looked at the floor. "I'm sorry."

"No, thank you." I put my hand on his arm for a brief moment. "At least now we know why they made the rule changes. I just wish there was something we could do about it."

He hummed his agreement, but said nothing more.

The 'troopers are disposable' mindset was backfiring on the First Order. We were losing too many troopers too quickly. I wondered if Mason could somehow persuade someone in power that it was worth bringing back injured troopers to be fixed up in the medical wing. Even if it increased financial costs, it would mean keeping young trainees in training until they were truly ready to be sent into combat.

I opened my mouth to voice my thoughts to Kylo, but then closed it, thinking that maybe I shouldn't mention Mason.

"No, that's a good idea." Kylo spoke now.

I glanced at him, confused, but then remembered his ability to read my thoughts. "I don't like it when you do that."

He shrugged. "Sorry. But your plan makes sense—even you were able to be fixed with recovery time, and it might be worth it to give the medical staff something to do besides stand around all day."

I rolled my eyes at him, crossing my arms over my chest. "I'll talk to Mason about it later. And they don't stand around all day—we're in a bit of a dry spell with missions, so there are less things to do, but they still have minor duties to attend to."

I couldn't see Kylo's face, but I could tell he was grinning at my defensiveness. "Whatever you say."