Epilogue Part II

Blue light illuminated Ben's skin as he lit his lightsaber, sparks reflecting in his dark eyes as he scrutinized my every move. I mirrored his movements, blood pounding in my ears. We circled each other warily, each waiting for the other to make a move. At last he gritted his jaw and lunged.

I dodged his attack nimbly, skidding around his side to match a secondary move. My purple saber clashed against his, the impact threatening to unbalance me. I rolled with the movement, swinging my blade once, twice, each attack blocked easily.

We backed away from each other again, shoulders heaving with the effort, his expression almost daring me to try something. I lunged again. He matched me move for move, step for step, neither of us able to gain the upper hand. I let out a hiss of frustration, breaking off again.

"Give up, Cal." Sweat plastered his black curls to his forehead. "You won't win."

"What makes you so sure?" I blocked another swing, light on my feet.

"You never win." He grinned briefly, his smile turning to a grimace as I started another series of attacks.

Ben blocked each of my swings, his terse expression betraying the effort required for each defense. My saber neared his arm, but he held out a hand and my motion was stopped mid-swing.

"Not fair!" I took a few steps back, fighting to catch my breath.

He shrugged. I raised an eyebrow.

Then he launched a counterattack, testing both my reflexes and my endurance as I desperately fended him off, his moves coming quicker and quicker as he managed to gain some ground. I matched him move for move, having learned most of his usual tactics, and he gritted his jaw as I managed to fight him off. Then my foot got caught underneath me, and I stumbled. His blade caught the side of my shirt and I let out a gasp, staggering backward.

Instantly his blade was sheathed and he was at my side.

"What happened?" He grabbed my arm, concerned.

My hand shot out and wrenched his lightsaber from his grasp, holding it behind my back. He gazed at me, momentarily confused.

"I won." I couldn't keep the grin off my face as I sheathed my own saber and clipped it to my belt.

His concern faded to annoyance, then grudging amusement as I laughed. "I thought I hurt you."

"I know." I smiled innocently. I pulled the side of my shirt out to show him the singed hole in the material. Underneath, my skin was unmarked.

Ben poked my stomach through the hole in my shirt. I flinched, laughing again.

"I don't think this counts as a win. You cheated." He reached around me for his lightsaber, but I held onto it tightly. He stepped even closer, our faces in tight proximity.

"I disagree." I grinned, willing myself to stand my ground. Even now, years after the fall of the First Order, there were still butterflies in my stomach in his close presence.

His lips brushed again mine, the scruff on his face tickling my skin. "Are you sure?"

"Yes." I hated the waver in my voice.

His other hand grasped my wrist, fingers running across my skin. He hummed thoughtfully, moving his lips across my jaw. I shivered.

He used my momentary distractedness to yank his lightsaber out of my hand.

"In that case I want a rematch." He turned sharply and strode away, leaving every inch of my skin screaming for lack of attention.

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. "Fine." I relit my saber.