LXXV

On the morning of Kylo's second task, I was woken by a harsh shove to my shoulder. Two guards stood over me silently, motioning for me to follow. I glared defiantly at them, refusing to move. I had a feeling I knew what was going on, and I was going to resist as much as I could. Then one of them pulled out a gun and pointed it at me. I let out an angry huff and slid out of bed, standing between them as they escorted me out of the silent barracks. The guard kept his gun pointed at me as we walked, in case I tried to escape.

An aching feeling of dread pulsed through me as I walked through the dim hallways alongside the guards, not liking the similarities between this morning and the morning of the first task.

The door slid shut behind me. I glanced around; the room had been emptied, the many racks that had once held weapons looking barren. I was alone. I exhaled a sigh of relief at not being bound and gagged this time, although I couldn't shake the idea that this was not going to end well.

I took a seat with my back against the wall, pulling my knees tightly to my chest as I waited for whatever was going to happen. I sat alone for a long time in silence. Dread bloomed through me as my mind processed the many possible outcomes of this experience. Not a single one of them was good.

After what seemed like a small eternity, the door opened.

General Hux entered, with Kylo tailing him closely. Kylo was unmasked; his face was pale, and there were those familiar dark circles under his eyes. I could tell right away that he had not slept last night. Kylo froze as he spotted me, unable to wrench his dark gaze from my face.

"This is your second and final task." Hux informed him, a slight smirk crossing his thin lips. "You have already executed the doctor, fulfilling the first part of your assessment, where you are tested on your ability to act without considering the emotions of others. The second part consists of the ultimate test. Supreme Leader Snoke has ordered that you exterminate your friend, thereby cutting off all personal ties. This test will assess your ability to act without considering your own emotions. Once your task is completed, you will take your place alongside Snoke as leader of the First Order, as promised."

The blood drained from Kylo's already pale face. He spared a glance at Hux, who returned it unforgivingly, before turning to me again. He looked as if he were about to pass out.

I rose to my feet slowly. I felt numb; I think I had known all along that this would happen. I just hadn't wanted to accept it. But now that it was time, I felt no fear, only resignation and acceptance of what was to come. I now knew how Mason had felt at the time of his execution—the same defeat that had occupied his eyes was now resonating throughout my entire body.

It's fitting that you should be the one to kill me, I thought bitterly, a twisted smile flashing across my face. The only one who has ever truly trusted you and seen you for the person you could have been. And I like to think that maybe you trusted me, too, but I never could read your thoughts like you could read mine.

I took a step towards Kylo, and he reciprocated by taking an unsteady step back. His head shook slowly as he stared at me, seemingly dazed by his assignment.

"Do it." My voice was flat as I spoke aloud. "Kill me."

Hux cleared his throat, indicating to Kylo that he should proceed with the task. Kylo glanced at him again, looking torn.

I took the opportunity to stride towards Kylo, my hands at my sides. I only stopped when I could no longer move; he didn't show it, but a slight flick of his hand proved that Kylo had used the Force to stop me from coming any closer.

"This is what you want, Kylo." I reminded him harshly. "You've been waiting a long time to join Snoke, and this is your chance. Remember everything you've ever trained for here. This is what it has all culminated to. All you have to do is take out your lightsaber and get it over with."

He swallowed shakily, still staring at me. I held my arms out, presenting myself to him. When he still didn't respond, I snapped.

"Kill me!" I screamed, my voice echoing off the walls of the large and empty room.

The loud noise seemed to break him out of his daze. In one fluid movement, he lit his scarlet lightsaber and swung it through the air, hitting General Hux in the collarbone. It cut through the general's body easily, leaving a long and ragged gash. Hux let out a scream of pain as he fell to the floor, convulsing as blood quickly leaked from his wounds and puddled around him on the floor.

I stared at Kylo with wide eyes. "What have you done?" My voice was weak with shock.

"Go get your lightsaber from the barracks." He instructed quickly, examining the newly unconscious general with cold eyes. "Meet me at the boarding docks in five minutes."

"What are we doing?" I was frozen to the spot, shock prickling at my extremities.

Kylo's eyes met mine. "Leaving."