XXIX

I had trained with Kylo for four straight days now, and while I was making progress, I was in desperate need of a rest day. I had arrived at the training room with half-closed eyes that morning, my mind still groggy.

If Kylo noticed, he didn't show it; we jumped straight into another duel, his relentless attacks testing my ability to focus even in exhaustion. I wasn't very good at it; I emerged with burns across my upper thigh and side, holes torn raggedly through my new training clothes.

"You need to focus." Kylo hissed as I backed away, fighting to catch my breath.

"I need to rest." I put my hands on my knees, grimacing at the heat radiating through my singed skin.

"Rest later."

I gave him an exasperated look. "Kylo, I'm tired all the time. I don't have energy to do anything else anymore, because I spend it all here! My muscles are permanently sore, and I have burn marks all over my body. Please, let me at least catch my breath before we continue."

There was a pause before Kylo gave a curt nod. I breathed a sigh of relief and sunk to the floor, my feet thanking me for relieving their pressure. I placed my unlit lightsaber on the floor next to me, watching as it rolled a few inches away before stopping.

Kylo settled next to me. "How are your burns from today?"

"Painful." I winced, flexing my leg and feeling the burn reignite.

"Want me to—"

"No." I cut him off. "It drains your energy too much."

He gave me a curious look. "Why does that matter?"

"Because it's not fair. It's not your fault I'm not fast enough to avoid being struck by a lightsaber. You shouldn't have to spend all your energy healing me because I'm simply too slow."

Kylo blinked, a gleam of surprise in his dark eyes. "I don't mind."

I made a face, checking the burn on my side. "They aren't too bad. I'll manage."

He narrowed his eyes at my stubbornness, but didn't argue. I closed my eyes and leaned my forehead against my knees, enjoying the brief respite. A tingling sensation in my side made me whip my head up. Kylo was holding his hand above the burn, turning it from an angry red stripe to a pale pink line.

I slapped his hand away. "I said no!"

"You won't be able to train as efficiently if you're hurt." He argued, a crease appearing between his eyebrows.

"And you can't teach as well if you're exhausted." I countered, annoyed by his persistence. "Just leave it, okay?" I sighed, feeling a bit guilty for snapping at him. "You don't need to baby me. I'll be okay, I promise."

He shrugged, glancing away wordlessly.

I stared at my feet, the gleam of my lightsaber catching my eye. "So what am I supposed to do with this now?" I picked it up, examining its smooth surface. "Do I bring it on missions?"

"No." He sounded alarmed at the prospect.

I gave him a curious look, surprised at his sharp response.

"Your training has been, well, under the radar." He explained, sparing me a glance. "It's not exactly common for troopers to be trained to use lightsabers. You... You haven't told anyone about these lessons, have you?"

"Only Mason." I frowned. "I didn't realize this was supposed to be a secret."

"It's not a secret, really. Think of it as more of a backup plan, in case..." His voice trailed off.

"In case of what?" I eyed him curiously.

"I don't know." His voice was curt. "In case something happens and you need to use a lightsaber to defend yourself."

"I can't really see anything like that happening." I mused. "I mean, I'm always by your side in battle, and judging by your abilities, I'm not sure anyone could ever beat you in hand-to-hand combat. So as long as you're around, I'll be alright."

His gaze darkened, and he remained silent.

I turned to face him. "Right?"

He shifted slightly. "Right."

I frowned, unconvinced. "Kylo, is there something you're not telling me?"

"Let's get back to work." Kylo stood up, offering me his hand. With a sigh, I took it, and he pulled me to my feet.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" I gave him a half-smile.

He nodded wordlessly, giving me a long look before turning to return to the training platform. I climbed up beside him, my energy slightly restored from the brief break.

"Now we need to go longer than usual to make up for the time we spent on break." He flashed a rare smile at me and lit his lightsaber.

I groaned loudly, lighting my own saber and waiting for his attack.