LXXVI

My feet couldn't seem to carry me fast enough as I raced through the halls back to the barracks. I dug through my clothes to the bottom of my drawer, pulling out the familiar wooden box. I pulled out my saber and clipped it to my belt, then dropped the box back inside the drawer. A flash of white caught my eye as I turned away, making me take a second look inside the drawer.

Sitting lightly on the bottom of the drawer was a worn scrap of paper, the drawing on it faded and lightly smudged. I stared at it for a second before making a conscious decision to leave it, the scribbled sketch of a Stormtrooper helmet burned into my mind.

With that, I left the trooper barracks for the last time.

I ran down the halls, not caring who saw me. I skidded around the corner and down the ramp onto the boarding dock. Kylo stood at the foot of a black jet, waiting for me. I did not slow until I reached his side.

I tensed as the pilot's door opened behind him and a figure dropped out.

"Poe?" I gasped, not sure that I could believe my eyes.

"Hey, Callie." He grinned, flashing me a salute. "Ready to get out of here?"

I stared at him, shocked into silence. Sure enough, the jet next to us was a Resistance jet, painted all-black so as to avoid bringing unwanted attention to it. Through the paint, the emblem of the Resistance could just be made out on its side.

"We need to hurry." Kylo cast a nervous glance around.

Poe nodded, opening the back of the jet to allow us to climb in.  Kylo offered me his hand as I climbed in, and I took it hesitantly, flashing him a sideways glance as I allowed him to assist me.  Poe closed the hatch behind us, and we were enveloped in blackness. I could hear Kylo's anxious breathing next to me as the engine of the jet ignited.

"How—" I started, but stopped. "What—"

"I'll explain when we're in the air."

"Hold on!" Poe called a warning as the jet accelerated and then took flight. "We've got company!"

I grabbed Kylo's wrist, appreciative of the darkness that hid my fearful expression. "They're going to shoot us down." I whispered.

"They will try." He sounded resigned.

I opened my mouth to respond, but was interrupted by the jet's sudden drop as Poe avoided shots from First Order fighters. I struggled to secure myself as the jet twisted and flipped unpredictably. Poe seemed alarmingly calm as he dodged shot after shot, but I felt as if I might fall out.

On one specifically harsh swerve, my heart plummeted as I lost my grip and I felt myself begin to fall. My tumble was stopped by the feeling of Kylo's arms wrapping around my torso. He pulled my body flush to his, and suddenly we were hovering.

I looked around with wide eyes, not sure how this was possible. The jet and its contents were spiraling around us, but we were perfectly still, suspended in midair. A flash from outside the jet illuminated the cabin for a split second, revealing Kylo's slight frown as he focused. His eyes were trained on the floor but his arms were still around me, keeping me in the air with him. He was sitting cross-legged, and I was balanced uncomfortably against him, but I was no longer falling, and that's what mattered most at that moment. Together we hovered peacefully, seemingly detached from the chaotic chase taking place outside the ship.

I stared in awe at Kylo's face, catching a fleeting glimpse of his concentration every time a shot whizzed by outside. He seemed so calm, so collected, despite the fact that we could be hit by a shot at any moment. His placidness was somehow contagious; I felt a wave of tranquility rush over me, and I closed my eyes.

Poe yelled something from the pilot's seat about lightspeed, but his words met deaf ears. The ship lurched forward as we shot through space, but we didn't feel it. We were suspended in a meditative web of serenity, unaffected by the world around us.

I don't know how much time had passed when we hit the ground. Poe landed his jet as gracefully as he could, pulling it forward into a specific spot before he cut the engines.

I opened my eyes and Kylo and I dropped to the floor just as our pilot turned around with a broad grin across his handsome features.

"That was fun." He pressed a button, and the side door opened. Sunlight flooded in, making Kylo and I squint as we eyed the exit uncertainly. Poe exited through the pilot's hatch, leaving us alone.

My eyes met Kylo's. His gaze was dark, marked by exhaustion and what seemed to be fear. He gazed at me uncertainly, waiting for me to speak.

Wordlessly, I pulled him into a tight hug. I tried to communicate everything I had to say into the embrace, so he wouldn't even have to read my mind to understand. I think it worked.

"Are you guys coming?" Poe's voice broke us apart. I nodded, and Kylo swallowed nervously.

I was first to crawl out, dropping to the ground on shaky legs. I glanced around, absorbing the familiar landscape of the tarmac. A small crowd of Resistance had begun to form nearby, their stares and murmuring obvious as they waited for Kylo to appear.

He was still inside the jet, anxiously peering outside but unwilling to leave. He ran his fingers through his black hair nervously, and his eyes met mine.

I turned to Poe. "Will you give us a second?"

He gave me a knowing look before turning and making his way towards where Finn and Rey were waiting with broad grins on their faces at the sight of their friend returning safely.

I extended my hand to Kylo. "You can do this." My voice was firm.

He eyed my hand for a heartbeat before returning his gaze to the building behind me.

"Is she here?" His voice was barely louder than a whisper.

"Yes." I knew instantly who he was talking about. "And she's been waiting a long time to see you again."

After a moment, he took my hand and dropped out of the jet to stand beside me. The crowd's murmurs grew louder and a few people pointed as Kylo came into view. I maintained my hold on his hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze. He held on fiercely.

Poe rejoined us and led us into the building. Everywhere we went, people stared. Stared at me. Stared at Kylo. Stared at our hands, which were tightly intertwined. I kept my gaze straight ahead as we walked through the halls to the main room, where I knew Leia would be waiting.

When we reached the door, Kylo stopped. I was pulled backwards by his hand in mine, stopping me in my tracks.

"I don't think—" He started, his eyes trained on the door.

"She wants to see you." I turned to face him straight on. He gazed at me uncertainly, and I took his face in my hands. "You need to trust me on this."

"I do trust you." He whispered. "Come with me?"

I nodded. Poe opened the door behind me, and I took Kylo's hand again as we entered the room.