LXXXIV

"What can I do for you, Master Skywalker?" There was a tremor in my voice.

He waved his hand at me. "Please, call me Luke."

I nodded slightly, waiting for him to continue. He squinted at me for a moment before speaking again.

"When I fought you in the government building, it was purely out of concern for the Resistance and protection of my friends. It was never anything personal, I hope you understand that. I don't want you to be afraid of me. I can sense that you are terrified."

I glanced away. "I-I was certain that I was going to die."

He placed a light hand on my shoulder. "I think we are all glad that you didn't."

I chewed my lip, focusing on taking deep breaths to suppress the tears that were threatening.

"You are a welcome addition to the Resistance, Calia. I can sense a strength in you that many do not possess. I think you will find that you are capable of great things here."

I relaxed slightly as he removed his hand. "Thank you, Luke." I turned to leave, but stopped when I heard his voice again.

"Calia?"

I turned slowly, my stomach muscles clenching.

"You are talented with a lightsaber. I was impressed by your skill."

I smiled softly. "I had a great teacher."

Luke gave me a knowing look before turning and disappearing down the corridor. When he was gone, I exhaled a long breath and sunk to the ground, watching as my hands tremored violently. I stayed there until I had managed to even out my breathing and suppress my shaking.

Ben was sitting on the bed when I returned to the room. He looked up as I entered, rising to his feet.

"What did he want?"

"H-he doesn't want me to be afraid of him." I closed my eyes for a moment. "He thinks that I'll be able to do good here. And he complimented me on my lightsaber skills."

Ben smiled softly. "I agree with all of those points. He is very wise, no matter how much I dislike him at times. He could teach you a lot, even if you don't have the Force. And I know you'll be able to do good here. You have a tendency to do good wherever you are."

I buried my face in his shirt, and he wrapped his arms around me.

"Are you okay?" He murmured after a moment.

"I am now." I whispered.

He pressed a gentle kiss to the top of my head, and I pulled away, feeling as if I had successfully collected and organized my thoughts and emotions. I let out a long breath, blinking rapidly before gazing up at Ben again.

"How are you going to track down Snoke?"

He frowned slightly. "It isn't going to be easy. His base is in constant motion, so it's almost impossible to get a read on it. But I have a few ideas, and if they go as planned, I should be able to track his location within a mile or so."

"Leia is proud of you." I smiled up at him. "I can see it in her face. She probably won't tell you, because she doesn't want you to push her away again, but I know she is."

Ben gazed at me with an unreadable expression, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.

"And I am, too." I continued. "It's not easy being here, a place where no one seems to trust you and it feels like you have to constantly prove yourself. But you've handled yourself well."

"I'm only following your example." He chuckled.

I grinned at the floor. "I'm still proud of you."

His hands cupped my jaw gently, and pulled my face upwards into a soft kiss. I returned it eagerly, threading my fingers through his midnight curls and pulling his lips to mine. Then he pulled away, his eyes searching my face. I stepped back warily.

"What's wrong?"

"It's just..." He swallowed nervously. "I feel like all this is some sort of dream, and any moment I'm going to wake up and none of this will have been real. I'll wake up, and you won't be mine anymore."

I took his hands in mine, pressing them to my face. "I promise you that this is all real. I'm just as much yours as you are mine." I kissed him passionately. "To be honest, I've wondered if this was a dream a few times too. But neither of us are waking up, so that means that this," I kissed him again. "Is real."

He smiled softly, tugging gently on a piece of my hair. "I believe you." His chocolate eyes swept over my face. "Calia?"

"Ben?"

"What... what are you going to do once this is all over?"

"After the war?" I thought for a moment. "I'm not sure."

He watched me closely. "You don't have anything planned?"

"No..." I frowned slightly. "I guess I'll find someplace to live, and start over. A new life sounds good to me. This one's been messed up too much."

A crease appeared between Ben's eyebrows. "Start over? Does that mean...?"

I gave him a knowing look, finally realizing what he was asking. "We can start over together. If that's what you want."

A relieved smile crossed over his face. "That sounds perfect."

I couldn't help but laugh lightly at his insecurity. "When all this is over, we'll settle down somewhere quiet and do whatever we want. We'll be free, and we'll be together."

His eyes were ablaze with happiness. His hands grabbed my shoulders and pulled me in for an extended kiss, his lips moving perfectly in sync with mine. When he pulled away, he held my face between his hands and stared directly into my eyes, placing emphasis on each of his words.

"There's nothing I'd rather do more."