019

Since Blink's mention of the ride taking five hours, the two sat in silence, farther apart than either of the two really wanted, but enough for both to effectively clear their heads and quell their emotions

Sitting up, so that she no longer leaned against her book bag, Blink reached around into the main compartment of her bag to find the family size pack of Twizzlers. Justin took note of the way her clothes were messily thrown into her bag and the way she would carelessly throw the old book bag around. Just like everything she owned, the word "BLINK" in capital letters was drawn on the outside with thick black marker. Ripping a twizzler from the pack, she motioned to the candy before she threw it down by Justin's feet.

"I don't want any" he sighed, shoving the strawberry flavored licorice to slide across the wooden floor.

"I want you to tell me what I'm doing here" he deadpanned.

"Fine. Fine. Fine" Blink groaned, pulling the licorice from her mouth stubbornly before she chucked it out of the side of the train, the cart moving way too fast to be able to follow the sight of the red stick reaching the ground.

"If you promise me something, I will tell you everything you want to know"

"Promise you what?" He urged her on.

"We're going to Detroit for a specific reason. It's no secret now that its where I go when I disappear, but you're the only person to know that or ever come with me and it's going to stay that way. Got it?" Her voice was growing hoarser by the second, a bit of emotion that Justin had never witnessed gathering in the back of her throat. "I'm not telling you exactly why we're going there now. You'll see this week." She stopped to grab another twizzler to successfully busy her hands.

"You want me to promise not to tell anyone?" Justin guessed.

"No" Blink chuckled lifelessly. "If you tell anyone where we went this week, I'll kill you"

When Justin's eyebrows raised and his lips hinted at his internal amusement, Blink shrugged. "Maybe I won't kill you, but I'll make you disappear. It happened once and I'll make sure it happens again if need be"

"Like Shane?"

Blink froze momentarily. Her body stiffened significantly, even her hands pausing from mercilessly picking at the red licorice stick in her hand. Justin was pretty sure he even saw her chest stop midway while rising— all at the mention of Shane, a mere ghost from her past. 

"Yes...like Shane" she whispered. Her head tilted then in his direction, a look of utter curiosity trained on her flawless face. "How do you know about him?"

Justin shrugged then. "Small clues. I didn't know his name at first, but then Caia mentioned him and I figured he was the only douchebag who could make you so aggressive"

"That bitch" Blink dropped the candy shreds again to slap her hand ruggedly to ground.

"Blink, she didn't mean-"

"I don't want to talk about it" she grit out. Pushing herself to her feet, she moved along the length of the cart, her hands in her hair as she struggled to control her ragged breathing. With her hands around her locks, balling into fists and anger running through her veins eager for destruction, Justin stood quickly. His long legs allowed him to cross the distance in seconds, the brunette in front of him pacing back and forth in small sharp steps.

"Talk to me Blink" he whispered.

When she turned at last to face him there was not a single trace of tears, but her emerald eyes held a deep seated pain that seemed so deeply engraved into her soul, he didn't think he would ever be able to help her.

As if in slow motion, Justin raised his hand, her lethal gaze nearly setting his hand up in flames. Before he could so much as touch her, she was already pushing away his grip and moving around him to continue pacing. "I said I don't want to talk about it"

Swiveling to follow her, he tried again this time. Gripping her hip, he pulled Blink in, and like this morning they stood flush against each other. The dizzying speed of the train swayed their bodies involuntarily but still the two stood rooted to the broken down floor. "You don't have to talk about that. Talk to me about anything else. Tell me about the promise you want me to make."

Nodding her head, Blink gripped Justin's hand, sinking to the floor and pulling him with her. "When I go to Detroit..." she stopped for a second in hesitation, watching as Justin worked at picking the acrylic paint from her fingers and palm.

He knew in this moment that Blink was uncomfortable. Just like anyone else when she was confessing, she would rather shrink back and remain invisible. So, while she spoke, the two of them crisscross, side by side, she focused on Justin's hands fumbling with her own.

"When I go to Detroit, things get a little hectic. And I know I keep saying shit like this that doesn't make sense...I know its all confusing, but this is one of the weeks that I want you to just sit back and watch. You can judge me all you want and if after this week you don't want me to come with you for Christmas, I'll understand."

"Don't say stuff like that" Justin mumbled, flicking a piece of dry paint down to the ground. "Unless you're some type of hitman and you get money that way..."

When Blink's lips flexed into a thin line and she stared at him with large eyes, Justin scoffed, throwing her hands from his lap.

"I'm just kidding" she laughed, scooting over the small distance Justin had moved. "I'm not a killer and I'm not inviting you on some killing spree. Jesus, have some faith in me" she laughed.

Comment, Vote, Share xx