046

Blink's lips parted, not in anger, but complete exhaustion

Blink's lips parted, not in anger, but complete exhaustion. Her hangover still remained and she felt equivalent to a stale chip: brittle, exhausted and hard around the edges. Her tongue quickly quenched her top lip and as her lungs expanded with oxygen, a loud bang from the front door had her halting from spilling her guts.

Justin's sweaty blond hair was drenched into a deep brown. His shirt sported the cliche deep V of sweat from his collar and down his back as he panted heavily while his mom ushered him further into the kitchen.

Blink watched as he hopped onto the counter to sit before his mother. Swiveling around like instinct, bending down, she searched for something under the kitchen sink before she was back at his side.

Only when she removed a gauze pad and a peroxide bottle did Blink realize it was a first aid kit.

"Justin..." His mother sighed as she grabbed at his chin before turning his head from side to side to catch sight of the bloody cuts in the kitchen's light.

"We were running up by Dover's Hill and you know that place is full of tree roots." He croaked, shrugging when his mother gave him a displeased look.

"You've been running up there since you were about five. The whole tree root thing doesn't fly anymore" she mumbled quietly as she dabbed at the medium sized cut that split across his eyebrow.

She'd said it low enough that Blink suspected she wasn't supposed to hear the last part. But Blink wasn't dumb. Things had clicked together long ago and she'd been stupid to wait so long. With the things Carter had told her before she left and now the running every morning and coming home with fresh cuts and black eyes.

Justin winced when his mother wiped his brow with a cotton ball drowned in the bubbling antiseptic. His eyes flung open when he heard the commotion of Blink's chair sliding across the kitchen floor. She had stood abruptly and was now placing her plate in the sink, the same far away look in her green eyes he'd witnessed back in the grocery store.

That look he'd learned was never good.

"Let me see your hands" Blink whispered as she stood beside his mom who was still dabbing at his scrapes.

"What?" He questioned.

"Your hands...let me look at them" Her reiteration of the demand still left Justin confused, so when she reached out to grasp both of his hands tightly, he didn't protest.

Flipping them over, Blink's emerald eyes left hot, blazing trails as her fingers lightly grazed the palms of his hands. They were the same hands she'd gripped multiple times since they'd met and despite their slight callous, his skin was exactly as she'd remembered.

"Your palms" she fled from the smooth grazing technique and instead jabbed a finger harshly into the skin. He pulled them away in surprise.

"What's your problem?" His mother added as she too looked over at Blink in surprise.